Snr Geotechnical Engineer Offshore Wind
This is an exciting opportunity for you to join the Scotwind Joint Venture wherein you will be managing all interfaces and technical delivery of the offshore geophysical and geotechnical investigations in support of the Offshore Wind project.
What is the role?
The Ground Engineering Manager will lead tendering, negotiation, and management of offshore and onshore site investigation contracts and related ground engineering contracts to enable all relevant project stakeholders to minimize ground risk and achieve optimized design of offshore wind farm infrastructure. In this role you will provide relevant ground engineering support to project and wider business stakeholders and ultimately manage ground risk for projects.
The key accountability of this role is to be the accountable person for the safe, on-budget and efficient delivery of data to the project ensuring that project decisions are made on time with quality assured data. You will be managing the interfaces of the ground engineering package with the other technical Package Managers i.e. foundation, IAC, OSS, ECC, T&I and acts as the Contract Holder for Offshore Geoscience surveys and all contracts related to the execution of the surveys, interpretation and implementation of data.
You will be responsible for developing the necessary Site Investigation Strategy documentation for the project and ensuring support from key project stakeholders to ensure approval. They will also be responsible for reviewing advising on ground risk management strategies between all project packages i.e. foundations, IAC, OSS, ECC, T&I and O&M.
You will ensure HSSE is proactively managed, identify risks and mitigations and actively manage risks within the package and across interfaces, and will understand the interaction between development, permitting, commercial, engineering, and delivery.
More specific responsibilities include:
- Act as the main focal point for ground engineering related activities on the Scotwind project
- Manage the Ground Engineering team on the project
- Lead project Ground Engineering activities supported to continually identify, monitor and manage Ground Engineering risks
- Responsible for managing offshore and onshore site investigations to time, programme and budget
- Ensure that ground engineering risks on your projects are identified and mitigated - making key engineering judgments, decisions and recommendations
- Participate in regular project engineering meetings and external stakeholder meetings as required
- Deliver Goal Zero performance by fostering a culture of safety leadership, safe survey practices, including mentoring, encouraging, and leading survey contractors in their continuing development of the same
- Liaise with the various engineering and development workstreams and stakeholders to understand and anticipate ground engineering interfaces and requirements with regard to the project consenting and design development.
- Ensure the project surveys meet the design and installation requirements of the project packages through continued stakeholder engagement and management;
- Manage the tendering and development of the Ground Model and communicating the outputs, risks and recommendations to the project packages;
- Coordinate and lead of offshore survey tender process activities, including identification of suitable contractors, vetting of technical competencies, definition of technical specifications, managing commercial and procurement engagements, ensuring full HSSE review of capabilities and ensuring the timely appointment of suitable contractor(s) to execute the offshore surveys.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of geophysical and geotechnical contractors throughout all scopes of work required to collect, interpret, and deliver the necessary geophysical and geotechnical data, including the delivery of an integrated geological ground model.
- Assess and support the development of leading-edge technologies where these can add to the value or efficiency of the JV’s business. Advocating for new technologies, innovative survey methodologies, and meaningful data reporting approaches.
- Deliver relevant information to support the tender process for the design, supply and installation of the offshore works. This information includes robust datasets of onshore/offshore geohazards or potential archaeological resources needed by contractors on the project to develop infrastructure plans and manage potential project risks
- Lead Ground Engineering components of the certification process in collaboration with relevant packages
What we need from you
We seek a highly motivated self-starter and interpersonal team player with very good communication and organizational skills and proven experience with managing people, budgets, scheduling and delivering through others.
The successful candidate is technically proficient in geotechnical engineering investigations and functionally competent in project engineering processes. The individual is a highly motivated self-starter and interpersonal team player with very good organizational skills and deep experience with budgets, scheduling and delivering through contractors. The individual has extensive years of relevant work experience providing geotechnical subject matter expertise to high-profile projects, managing strategic and front-end processes, controlling resources, schedules, costs, managing contracting and procurement and implementing HSSE and quality management systems.
We also hope you possess the following skills and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent is required, Master’s in same preferred
- Strong personal leadership in HSSE
- Chartered status with a relevant institution
- Experience with shallow water, nearshore and onshore geotechnics is required
- Knowledge and experience of offshore site investigations for offshore windfarm development, including laboratory testing programmes is preferred
- A good awareness of geotechnical design of large-scale offshore structures
- Demonstratable knowledge and understanding of the development and construction process for offshore wind farms, the key ground risks related to this process and how they can be effectively managed
- Proven experience in project management commercial, legal and financial processes
- Must have a strong business sense coupled with the commitment to deliver step changes in terms of project efficiency and profitability
- Able to balance technical detail with commercial needs and provide recommendations, taking into account all relevant risks
- Project delivery experience (within ground engineering discipline of offshore wind)
- Strong personal commitment and leadership attributes in HSSE risk identification and management and quality management is required
- Professional Engineering Licensure and/or Project Management certification strongly preferred
- High energy, self-motivated, collaborative individual
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural context
- A high degree of skill in written and oral communications
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don’t feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
- Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
- We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.