Senior Engineer - Energy Storage
Shell is making significant steps in the energy transition. The recently established Power Technology organisation drives energy transition through development and deployment of new power products. Together with our partners we develop cutting edge, competitive and scalable energy storage and integration technologies and products to enable a 24/7 renewable powered economy. Our storage and integration products aim to enable continuous use of renewable power, manage energy expenses over time, improve energy reliability and decrease the strain on the grid.
Where you fit in
As a Senior Engineer - Energy Storage (Mechanical), you play a key role in the near- and mid-term storage technology and product development efforts in an organization that promotes and supports the use of renewable electrical power to replace fossil-based energy. You will report to the Team Lead Long Duration Energy Storage who is part of the Power General Management-ship for Energy Storage & Integration Technology. Our team includes a wide range of experts across different areas including electrochemical storage, thermal storage, power electronics and power systems and the various uses of renewable power to decarbonize at home, on the road and at work.
What’s the role?
You will work closely with academic partners, start-ups and commercial and industrial customers to test, pilot and demonstrate innovative technology concepts with the aim to scale and commercialise as soon as reasonably possible. You are or will develop to be a top expert in mechanical energy storage, building the technology development strategy and roadmap and delivering accompanying projects.
More specifically, you will:
- Be a technology domain and/or project lead with natural teams of 3-8 members across Shell to develop large scale commercial mechanical energy storage for use in multiple sectors
- Identify promising storage technologies and develop these through the Shell Deliver Technology Process; discovering/evaluating, developing/piloting, demonstrating and deploying towards commercial scale
- Define key mechanical storage product characteristics and performance criteria for process electrification applications via techno-economic analysis
- Maintain strong focus on product and process safety towards development and deployment of new storage technologies
- Be responsible for technical reports and patent filings
- Represent Shell in relevant academic and industry platforms and present at conferences
- Keep a close eye on the competitive landscape, including cost and performance
- Be a trusted advisor for a.o. Shell sector teams, Shell Ventures and Shell Trading to help screen investment opportunities and recommend how they may or may not fit within the mechanical storage technology roadmap
What we need from you
- MS/PhD or extensive working experience in chemical/mechanical or electrical engineering
- Deep technical knowledge in mechanical storage technologies – direct experience is a plus
- Proven ability to demonstrate and deploy new technologies in power infrastructure or renewables development
- Knowledge in product design and prototyping (physical and computational)
- Working knowledge of intellectual property (IP) considerations
- Understanding of systems engineering concepts is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to HSSE
- Effective stakeholder management with the ability to integrate customer needs and interests
- You are keen to keep learning and persistent towards your end goal
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.