HPC & AI Resident
The world faces energy challenges that are becoming more complex each day. We are looking for people who share our passion for taking on these challenges with cutting edge technology, innovative thinking and commitment to manage risks. Shell develops and operates some of the largest, most complex energy projects in the world, we always endeavour to work at the leading edge of technical innovation.
About Digital Centre of Expertise
Shell’s Digital Centre of Expertise, part of Shell’s Technology business unit offers the opportunity to lead the digital transformation of the energy industry. We are a world leading community of industrial scientists and engineers committed to using cutting edge R&D to take us through the energy transition into a winning position in a low carbon world.
About Shell.ai Residency Programme
Shell.ai is a change programme designed to support the adoption of AI at scale across Shell through a common platform, community and shared best practices. Shell.ai Residency Programme is a global program sponsored by the Shell Digital Centre of Expertise, the programme offers residents the opportunity to develop deep, technical expertise across the spectrum of AI, learning more about the energy industry and working in agile teams to develop new solutions that can optimise current processes, enable workforce and unlock new business models.
The Shell.ai Residency Programme is a 2-year, full-time, immersive programme, which you to gain experience working on a variety of AI projects across Shell globally. The Programme offers Residents the opportunity to collaborate with like-minded innovators, experts and mentors, while deepening technical expertise across the spectrum of AI.
As an AI Resident you will get to be involved in real time projects specifically matched to your interests and abilities and to get an insight into our day-to-day business operations. You’ll receive performance evaluations from your mentor and/or direct supervisor, and you’ll find out what the energy industry is really like, from the inside. The Shell.ai Residency Program offers you an amazing opportunity for learning and discovery. You will enjoy a unique opportunity to:
- Develop deep technical expertise working on the latest AI related projects
- Collaborate with like-minded innovators and AI residents community across the globe, Shell experts and mentors
- Channel your efforts from ideation to execution working to rapidly deploy solutions
- Deploy solutions across a breadth of Shell businesses - from Exploration to Trading, or Retail to New Energies
Where you fit?
The 4th industrial revolution (digitalization) is shaping Shell’s energy transition. The energy company of the future will be powered, at an unprecedented scale, by sophisticated data centric and computational simulation algorithms crafted through AI, deep learning (DL), machine learning (ML), computational physics and advanced visualization (VR, AR).
Shell plans to have access to a top-tier High-Performance-Computing (HPC) facility to enable the discovery of new resources and the creation of data driven algorithms dedicated to solving our most challenging business opportunities.
What’s the role?
As a member of the Visual and HPC team, your typical day will involve working side-by-side with accomplished software engineers, world-class researchers and domain experts.
The team focuses on the delivery of faster and better business decisions through Digital and Computational algorithms. The team relies heavily on its depth of expertise in High-Performance-Computing and Visualization. The work will consist primarily in improving existing computational workflows and in developing new ones to reach best price performance, by leveraging the latest advancements in both Software and Hardware technologies. The embedding of State-of-the-art visualization technologies in workflows to derive additional insights for better decision making is also part of the work. Solutions provided by our team have been deployed in various Shell products across both the Upstream and Downstream businesses.
The Shell.ai resident VHPC role is at the helm of convergence of HPC and AI in Shell. It will be focused on working with application developers and scientists in Shell to optimize performance of existing AI-ML workflows for a variety of next generation compute infrastructure/platforms. Opportunities also include building future digital solutions by integrating multiple technologies (AR/VR/NLP/HPC/…)
As part of AI Residency program you will get to work with different global cross-discipline teams on long research challenges where your artificial intelligence and machine learning knowledge, in integration with domain sciences will take us further into the digital world. In next 2 years you will get to work on following fields:
- Identify performance optimization and parallelization opportunities for faster business decisions
- Deliver performance optimizations for Digital and Computational workflows
- Integrate multiple digital technologies to build and deliver solutions
- Build deep understanding of the next generation technology roadmap and its impact on Shell workflows and applications
What we need from you?
We’re keen to speak to applicants with a Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science / Maths / Engineering / Science or similar discipline
Along with your strong experience in the delivery of analytics solutions within a corporate or academic environment, we’d also hope to see as many of the following on your CV:
- 3+ years of demonstratable experience with performance optimization of applications
- Proficiency in building AI-ML workflows using latest frameworks (Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, Caffe,
- Development experience with one or more HPC accelerator programming environments such as Nvidia GPUs, Intel Xeon Phi etc.
- Knowledge of modern HPC systems, CPU/GPU architectures and execution models
- Programming knowledge of C, C++, Fortran, Python, or Java and understanding of data structures and Algorithms
- Experience with performance tools such as Nvidia nvprof, Nvidia Nsight, Intel Vtune, Intel Advisor and Intel Inspector
- Good understanding of Cloud Computing environments such as AWS, Azure and containerization technologies such as Dockers, Singularity
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are a part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach.
Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
An innovative place to work
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We've retained our title as a top employer for women in India for past 3 consecutive years since 2016.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible
Through all of this, and combining our ideas through a creative, collaborative environment and global operations – we have developed and will continue to nurture a unique workplace with an impressive range of benefits to ensure that joining Shell is an inspired and rewarding career choice for everyone.