Junior Project Manager
As a member of the Enterprise Technology and Projects, IT Service Operations at Shell, you will have the opportunity to work in a challenging but rewarding environment that is fast paced and changing fundamentally as Shell transforms its business to meet the ambition to be a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, whilst delivering a world class business case that has a strong societal license to operate. In your program and project management career at Shell you will be expected to enact change and deliver value globally across business lines and geographies.
Project Managers plan, execute, and control a project or set of related projects to meet identified business requirements and deliver business value, through acquiring and utilizing the necessary resources and skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales, risk, quality and benefits.
Shell is looking for Program and Project Management professionals with proficiency across the following five key dimensions:
• Program and project delivery skills in both agile and waterfall methodologies;
• Domain knowledge and skills, such as Chemicals, Deepwater, Retail, Finance, Legal, HR, and Capital Project lines of business and functions;
• Technology skills, such as cloud, mobile, software-as-a-service, and digital platforms;
• Professional skills, such as leadership, communication and resilience; and
• Entrepreneurial skills, such as a business-value mindset, critical thinking, storytelling, stakeholder management, and enabling value creation
As a program and project management professional in Shell, you are also a leader in the natural team and are required to continuously develop your leadership behaviours
• Live our values and goal zero - We do the right thing with respect to our values, safety and people.
• Maximise our performance - We focus on priorities, seek improvements and work together across teams to close our gap to potential and deliver bottom line commercial results.
• Grow trust in Shell - We work outside in and build strong long-term relationships with customers, partners, and external parties and make a positive contribution to society.
• Engage & inspire - We engage everyone through our connected purpose and inspire people and teams be their best through development, coaching and honest feedback.
• Learner mindset - We have a shared belief that everyone can grow their ability, learn from mistakes & successes and speak up openly in a safe environment.
You will be expected to:
• Agree and deliver a body of work, organised into programmes, projects and workstreams to agreed time, cost, quality, risk and benefit profiles, delivered within Shell's standards and controls framework;
• Proactively analyse variances against plan to assess trends threatening agreed scope, time, cost, and quality commitments. Identify signs that a project may be at risk and take appropriate action;
• Engage internal and external stakeholders such as users, customers or suppliers to fully benefit from the delivered products, services and changes;
• Develop and execute appropriate change and engagement plans to achieve necessary behaviour changes in order to maximise benefits;
• Align expectations and ensure that the decision-making of stakeholders happen in a timely and effective manner;
• Mobilise and lead teams composed of a mixture of staff and suppliers across organisational boundaries and the natural team. Ensure they have the necessary skills, capacity and experience to achieve the required outcomes;
• Develop the skills of team members through coaching, delegation and providing stretching assignments;
• Understand, assess and embed the right delivery methodologies, considering project and business constraints;
• Assess programme risks as they are encountered and evaluate trade-offs between cost, time, quality, risk and ultimately benefit, continuously managing the business cases of constituent projects and workstreams;
• Ensure that all deliverables, whether software, hardware, processes, products or business change are fit for purpose, meet all relevant requirements and are effectively transitioned to support and business-as-usual; and
• Ensure that the business value intended by the work is explicit, agreed and delivered.
As your career in Shell progresses, you will be exposed to opportunities both across our diverse lines of business and in our business IT and enterprise IT functions, as well as progressively more challenging assignments that develop your capabilities
• The role will involve working closely with Real Estate, approved IT infrastructure service providers; as well as coordinating closely with Real Estate's construction, electrical, HVAC, mechanical, civil, and asset protection engineering trades, to ensure that the IT requirements are met
• This role typically delivers infrastructure projects which cut across all businesses and typically include end user computing, telecoms, low voltage design, Audio Video, hosting and storage components; as well as potentially requiring new service developments. This is involving design and deployment of Audio-Visual solutions for standard meeting rooms, advance meeting rooms such as Townhall, Board Rooms, Multipurpose/Learning rooms, Crisis Rooms, Real Time Operating Centers/Collaborative Work Environments etc
• Direct interaction and management of multiple third-party vendor and sub vendors in executing and delivering the infrastructure and audio-visual elements. This includes all HSSE assurance, compliance and oversight elements
Dimensions & Accountabilities:
• Plan, execute, monitor, control, and close all aspects of the project lifecycle adhering to the Shell Project Delivery Framework (PDF) methodology and other standards at a scale of up to $1M, with up to 10 team members;
• Quickly build and leverage relationships with the Programme or Project Manager and other stakeholders and understand their priorities. Resolve conflict where possible and raise issues with the Programme or Project Manager;
• Agree and build an agreed list of deliverables as defined by the Programme or Project Manager;
• Support the team through periods of uncertainty to help complete its objectives and raise risks and issues early;
• Create and deliver relevant and impactful communications for project or workstream stakeholders;
• Support the project team to remain resilient after setbacks and to recover performance;
• Understand the risks in delivering the team’s work and report effectively on them;
• Understand how execution efficiency interacts with risk mitigation, value delivery, cost, quality and benefits;
• Understand programme or project goals and business context at all stages of the lifecycle, and particularly when responding to challenges and change;
• Execute the chosen methodology for the project or workstream to maximise delivery effectiveness;
• Execute the required reporting approach defined by the Programme or Project Manager; and
Support programme or project leadership to enable the team to collaborate effectively with business IT, the impacted businesses, wider stakeholders both internally and externally, resolving specific issues as directed.
Skills & Requirements:
• Typical Experience: 5+ years in IT with 3+ years of experience in managing the work of others, within a project, workstream or business operation;
• Typical Programme Complexity: Projects or workstreams, with business or technical change.
• Degree educated with evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning; and
• Working towards project management certification such as PMP® and agile certification