Researcher - Power Systems Modeling
Passionate about multi-scale and multi-physics modeling, AI and digital innovation? Curious how to enable Shell’s Strategy to Accelerate the Transition to a Net-Zero Energy Business by designing and optimising Shell’s current and future Assets, Processes and Products through Physics-based Systems Simulations and pushing the frontiers of Digital Innovation in Systems Modeling? This role covers all of the above and much more. Join us to #makethefuture together.
Where You Fit In?
This position is within the Systems Modeling team, a part of Computational Science and Digital Innovation VP-ship in Shell’s global Projects and Technology organization. You will be part of the Systems modeling team in Bengaluru which is expected to grow over the coming few years. Systems Modeling capability is a key enabler in multiscale modeling in computational science and responsible for providing critical input towards design and optimizing of industrial systems, processes, and products. You are going to be a key part of pushing the frontiers of digital innovation in systems modeling, integrating information from smaller scales with continuum-scale physics towards systems design and optimization.
What is the Role?
As a Researcher, Power Systems Modeling, you will be a key player growing the niche capability of Power Systems to enable Shell’s ambition of decarbonization through Electrification. The role is to work as an individual contributor but would give immense opportunities to collaborate with various other R&D and engineering teams and businesses in Shell across the globe. A few of the opportunities would include H2, Offshore Wind, Electrification, E-mobility, electrification of large industrial assets, and with external customers to provide decarbonization solutions for hard to abate sectors including mining and marine. This role reports to the Manager Systems modeling, located in Shell Technology Center Bengaluru.
A key element of this role would constitute in integrating capabilities for systems level simulations & optimization aided by HPC, bringing deep expertise in power systems integration, control systems, power electronics, electrical engineering, electric mobility, energy systems modeling, systems engineering, digital twin and mathematical optimization including non-linear optimization. These are needed to make right operational, tactical, and strategic decisions by modeling and optimizing the systems at appropriate scales (national grid, distributed energy resources like Wind, Solar, H2, microgrid, individual electrical components).
- You will be responsible for independently carrying out R&D/Asset support projects in systems modeling covering many of the above technical areas, develop in-house codes where needed, running of Shell proprietary codes and relevant commercial tools.
- Reporting of the technical results and insights through reports and presentations that is actionable for the customer and supporting the customer in implementation of the solution.
- You will need to interface with stakeholders well within and outside Shell for bringing in problems worth solving from diverse lines of businesses, apply systems thinking to scope and develop required technology solutions, and finally deploy & replicate the solution with our internal and external customer to deliver commercial value.
- Execution of R&D programs in the field of systems modeling including tracking progress against milestones and agreed deliverables.
- You will need to keep an eye and leverage external trends to bring in cutting edge digital innovation in this space.
- Carrying out all activities with safety as the priority (Goal Zero).
- PhD or MS/M. Tech degree in Electrical/Mechanical/Energy science and engineering or similar discipline with a strong computational modeling background; specialization in power systems integration, control systems, power electronics, Electric mobility, power infrastructure and conversion, physics-based systems level design, and optimization.
- Candidates must have relevant research experience of 5 years post Master’s or 2 years post PhD.
- Expertise in MATLAB, Python, C, and other Programming languages. Experience in using commercial electrical modeling tools like PSCAD, ETAP, SCADA, OPAL-RT, multi-physics, and systems simulation tools like Simscape Electrical etc. Knowledge of model development for different electrical systems like batteries, charger station, micro grids or experience in industrial asset electrification projects is a great advantage.
- Deep knowledge of engineering areas: power flow modeling and optimization, power systems modeling, grid integration, HVDC/FACTS, load flow and network analysis, transient simulations, short-circuit analysis etc. with skill level expertise.
- Candidates with experience in optimization and automation to integrate these capabilities into a Digital Twin platform would be advantageous.
- Sound understanding of Systems Engineering and Systems Thinking principles.
• A team player with good oral and written communication skills.
- Agile ways of working with learner’s mindset and ability to collaborate across organizational boundaries.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.