STEM Careers at Shell
A career in STEM can open the door to amazing opportunities. Shell has long supported and been committed to nurturing female talent within STEM. We strive to educate and expose women to opportunities within STEM through our partnerships with universities and research centers.
Women in Engineering and Technology
Many forms of engineering are integral to Shell's overall operations and we believe that by also collaborating with industry partners, we can achieve more. Establishing a solid foundation in Engineering will put you in good stead to capitalize on a range of future possibilities inside Shell's broad technical arena and give you the chance to make a meaningful impact on the future of the industry.
A career in Information Technology at Shell will provide you a challenging and fast-paced working environment in which to help build, implement and support IT solutions for a range of highly complex business functions. IT roles at Shell will suit someone with the greatest capacity for teamwork, problem solving and commercial aptitude.
Computational Science team
Shell's Computational Science team is looking for innovative and technically focused talent to deliver bespoke, high-end IT services to all areas of the business including Geoscience, Reservoir Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. With a career in Computational Science, you will have far-reaching influence on Shell’s commercial and operational objectives.
Turbine Engineer - Offshore Wind
What is the role
As Turbine Engineer, sitting in the team that drives the technical side of the Offshore Wind business development in Shell, you will play a key role in developing the Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) scope of new Offshore Wind projects. You will team up with Structural, Electrical, Operation and Maintenance, Contracting and Procurement and other experts to jointly work on new projects. This role will play a key part is supporting Shell’s ambition to grow its offshore wind portfolio in the Americas on Shell supported JVs – Atlantic Shores.
You will work on WTG selection, assessments, design, and installation concept in the various phases of projects. You are expected to be a team player to bring new projects to a success. Projects can be tenders or green field development, and are both bottom founded or floating.
More specific duties include:
- Providing technical expertise for wind turbines for Shell’s portfolio of offshore wind, including Joint Venture support, opportunity realization, Merger and Acquisition activities, due diligence, throughout the life cycle of offshore wind farm projects.
- Technical management for WTG supply and installation agreements. Leading preparation of tender documents, evaluation of tenders and technical contract negotiations with wind turbine manufacturers. Leading/supporting technical negotiations internally and externally and supporting commercial negotiations.
- Independent implementation and management of the prequalification of WTG (components) in the form of audits, technical due diligence, technical risk assessments, as well as first point of contact for suppliers
- Interfacing between Joint Venture team and Shell global offshore wind team, to ensure Subject Matter Expert reviews are organized, and best practices and lessons learned from the wider Shell organization are made available for the Joint Venture project team
- Managing load iteration process, and associated interfaces with suppliers
- Advising project teams on risk, opportunity, schedule, and cost for the WTG scope. Managing interfaces between WTG scope and other packages.
Work Location: Preferably New Jersey Project Office, alternately existing JV or Shell company office (Houston, Boston)
Ability to travel every month to a JV or parent office for 3-5 days at a time (depending on COVID related travel restrictions).
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Successfully completed university studies in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or in a comparable field)
- Knowledge and experience at least 5 years in the development, construction, functioning and operation of Wind Turbine Generators for offshore wind farms. Onshore windfarm experience may be considered
- Evidence of commitment to Health Safety and Environment
- Understanding of load iteration process
- Knowledge of Wind Turbine Supply Agreements, their technical aspects and commercial impact, proven experience in leading technical negotiation of these type of agreements
- In-depth experience in Technical Project management knowledge as well as experience in the professional management of project teams and support of employees
- Very good analytical and conceptual skills as well as the ability to think innovatively and strategically
- Good communication skills and high social competence
- Task-related willingness to travel, nationally as well as internationally
The base salary range for this position is $122,000.00 - $182,000.00 per year. Individual pay will be based on various factors, such as relevant work experience, education, certifications, skill level, seniority, and internal equity.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach. Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you are proud of your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities.
Shared Parental Leave
The new Shared Parental Leave legislation goes beyond breaking the stereotype that dads don’t change nappies: it’s a vital step towards true equality in the home and the workplace. Shell actively promotes a healthy work/life balance through family-friendly programs, such as an enhanced pay during Shared Parental Leave and flexible working arrangements. Find out more.
Global Minimum Standard for Maternity Leave
Shell is proud to be the first major integrated oil and gas company to announce a global minimum standard of 16 weeks paid maternity leave, enabling new mothers to put their families first and spend more time with their newborns. Find out more.
We believe in offering a competitive and contemporary benefits package that focuses on individual choice based on personal needs and preferences.
Shell health plans offer flexibility and choice to help meet the health care needs of you and your family (including Domestic Partners). Your options in Medical, Dental and Vision provide access to high quality care providers throughout the United States. Flexible Spending Accounts offer tax savings when used to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you and your Dependents.
Shell offers programs to protect you and your family from the unexpected. You have access to company-paid coverage, plus the flexibility to choose optional insurance coverage to meet your specific needs. We recognize that there are additional demands outside of work. We offer programs that help you with those everyday challenges and child care needs. We also offer programs that focus on additional protection for your family.
Shell offers a contemporary and highly competitive wealth and retirement benefit package. We offer a savings plan with generous employer contributions. You can also participate in an employee stock purchase plan. Through a combination of plans and special features, you have the flexibility to actively manage your retirement benefits. These benefits are designed to provide a foundation for your future financial security.
Shell understands and respects the importance of both work and personal life. That is why we have made – and are continuing to make – changes in the workplace that make it easier for you to achieve balance in all aspects of your life. Shell’s policies and resources offer solutions that are innovative and flexible to meet employees’ diverse needs.
Work and Family Programs
To help balance and support work and family responsibilities, Shell offers a variety of work and family programs.