Emergency Response Technician HSE Field Support - Emergency Services
What’s the role?
This position ensures that Emergency Response is staffed in a manner that provides an initial response to protect People, Environment, the Asset and the Shell Reputation in the event of an emergency. The focus of this position is to effectively and efficiently execute all aspects of emergency response.
Individuals in this job are expected to have a visible field presence, as demonstrated through doing core work activities. Work with others in the department to coordinate responses and maintain fixed fire protection systems throughout the site. Demonstrate visible HSE leadership and commitment through walk-the-talk and positive intervention. Apply the HSE management system to work activities. Where compliance and/or assurance issues are not being addressed, appropriately address and or escalate issues to the next level of supervisor.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities of the role are:
- Provide immediate response to the different types of emergencies at the site, to include fires, gas releases, spills to land and water, rescue and medical calls, etc.
- Response during off-hours may be required
- Function as Subject Matter Expert for Emergency Orders, Work Procedures, Safety Orders and Standard Operating Procedures, which include reviewing the procedures, providing interpretations, and may include developing and delivering Emergency Response training
- Maintain emergency response facilities and all emergency response equipment (Mobile and Fixed) to ensure equipment is available and ready to respond to emergencies
- Serve as the HSE Field Department fixed fire water system owner, including coordinating and
- communicating fire water isolations and preparing Permit to Work for repairs.
- Provide Health and Safety Field Services to stakeholders including industrial hygiene monitoring, turnaround support, Health and Safety compliance audits, Health and Safety consulting services, Initial Emergency Response training for all site personnel, Fire Safety Assessments of Active, Passive fire protection and Site Emergency Response Equipment, etc.
- Conduct Annual inspections on Fire Extinguishers and other regular maintenance as required
- This is a rotating shift role
Skills & Requirements
What we need from you -
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in Refinery/Chemical Production facility in an Operations, Maintenance or comparable role (I.e. Engineer, etc.)
- Minimum of three (3) years Industrial Emergency Response experience.
- Must meet the fitness to respond requirements for performing firefighting and rescue duties.
- Certified National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)-1081, interior and exterior (or equivalent).
- Must currently hold and maintain a minimum of a AEMT issued through the Texas Department of State Health Services or higher certification.
- Certified as NFPA 472, Hazardous Materials Technician (or equivalent).
- Certified as NFPA 1006 Standard for Technical Rescue Personnel (or equivalent).
- Must hold and maintain a Certified Class B Texas Driver’s license.
- Previous experience working within the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Hazard recognition, risk assessment, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Working knowledge of firefighting apparatus and foam generation equipment.
- Knowledge of OSHA, API and NFPA Regulations.
- Must have good computer skills and be able to use Microsoft applications.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills.
- Perform other Emergency Response Field Safety Responsibilities as required.
- Worked in a Leadership Role within an Industrial Emergency Response Facility.
- Certified as a NFPA 1002 Standard for Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Professional Qualifications.
- Certified as a NFPA 1005 Standard for Marine Firefighting for Land-Based Fire Fighters.
- Knowledge of the OSHA regulations for Permit to Work Systems and Process Isolation.