IDT Advisor - SEAM Gas
Where you fit:
Shell Energy’s ambition is to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, and natural gas plays a critical role in the energy transition. It is one of the few energy sources that can be used across all sectors of the global economy while supporting the integration of variable renewable electricity generation by quickly compensating for dips in solar or wind power supply or responding to sudden increases in demand. Bottom line: Natural gas is an integral part of providing more and cleaner energy globally.
As our business continues to expand to meet the growing demand for energy, our technology must expand and evolve with it. This is where you come in. You will have the opportunity to help drive the innovation that is critical to helping our SEAm Gas Trading business meet their ambitions. From market expansion into Latin America to enabling our business to go after the latest market offerings in biogas and responsibly sourced gas, our business is transforming. We are looking for individuals with external perspectives to help us achieve best-in-class technology solutions to support this transformation.
If you would like to be at the centre of Shell's Powering Progress strategy, join Trading & Supply and play a part in the delivery of our energy future.
The IT Advisor supports the IT Manager to identify, realise, and protect value across the IT portfolio. The role drives rigour and discipline in the opportunity realisation process and under scope agreed with the ITM self-starts to drive standalone technology and data opportunities within the Portfolio.
The IT Advisor demonstrates understanding of business vision, strategy and KPIs, balancing these with knowledge about the Enterprise IT vision, strategy, and prevailing technology standards. Day to day the IT Advisor demonstrates curiosity about commercial problems and ambitions and displays drives the Portfolio fulfilment of target KPIs.
Key components of the role:
Integrated IT and Business Strategy
- Contributes actively to the evergreening of the IT Strategic Plan
- Understands business KPIs and IT’s strategic role in their fulfilment.
- Explores commercial and customer problems, determining possible technology and data investment or optimisation opportunities across the IT business portfolio
- Understands the Enterprise IT strategy and associated standards for technology compliance and risk management.
Value Generation & Protection
- Supports the ITM in the end-to-end management of opportunity identification and realisation, including associated demand and value generation processes.
- Contributes to the Value Funnel of the IT business portfolio, independently owning and maturing individual opportunities.
- Strong focus on Business Value delivery across the organization.
- Creates robust business cases and understands how to calculate value, assess benefits, and determine risk. Supports the ITM to ensure that value data is correctly represented, managed and reported in IT business management tools.
- Understands the vision, strategy, and KPIs of the Gas Trading portfolio.
- Understands the value chain, customer journeys, and associated touchpoints of the Gas Trading portfolio.
- Uses a strategic mindset to think through scalability, supportability, and competitive advantage of IT solutions.
- Understands industry trends and the dynamic competitor landscape.
- Uses external insight to contextualise work and engagement with ITM, business stakeholders and the business-facing natural team. Contributes to compelling thought leadership about technology and data adoption and exploitation.
IT Portfolio Management
- Owns and manages Natural Gas portfolio demand, working closely with business stakeholders to understand and capture detailed business requirements.
- Works to align the business facing natural team around elements of the IT Strategic Plan for optimisation of portfolio investments, reduction of operational costs, and management of risk.
- Demonstrates art of the possible from technology and data, experimenting through ITM agreed prototypes to prove value.
- Demonstrates curiosity about new and emerging technologies, actively seeking to understand how to commercialise products and services.
- Drives prototyping and piloting of new technologies as a better way of demonstrating business value, else failing fast and applying learnings to future opportunity development.
- Champions use and visualisation of data to drive commercial conversations and inform decision-making.
- Encourages and applies new methods and ways of working to optimise organisational performance.
- Demonstrates an understanding of how the natural gas trading business contributes to the energy future, and how the delivery of an IT Strategic Roadmap is foundational to getting us from where we are now to 2030 and beyond
What we need from you:
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 7 years related experience.
A track record of innovation and technology-focused thought leadership
- Creativity in identifying ways in which technology can enable business outcomes
- Experience with stakeholder engagement at all levels of a gas trading organization
- Exposure to a variety of gas trading organizations and the ability to bring valuable external insights into Shell Energy, particularly as they relate to products such as RNG and RSG and associated credits and C&I customer solutions
- Detailed knowledge of the natural gas deal life cycle
- A passion for helping Shell do its part to reduce carbon emissions and to become a leading clean energy provider
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.