IT SME – Energy Trading and Supply
Shell is looking to grow the team of subject matter experts within Trading & Supply IT department.
Where you fit in
Shell Trading and Supply is the world's largest energy trader. It combines a global network of trading companies, industry leading shipping and maritime capabilities, and an integrated network of supply and distribution activities to act as the central integrator for Shell. To accelerate Shell’s ambitious delivery goals, we are looking to expand our team of Trading & Supply Information and Digital Technology subject matter experts (SMEs).
The SMEs in our team have deep expertise and experience within specific Trading & Supply business or technical domains. They understand the nuances of the business, systems and processes within the area and cultivate trusted partnerships with the stakeholders and colleagues in the area.
We are looking for candidates with existing experience within a trading, supply or logistics domain, who aspire to embed themselves in our team, grow into an SME as outlined above and contribute to the growth of Trading & Supply and Shell’s journey towards net zero. Suitable candidates will come with deep business and/or technical knowledge in Trading, Supply or Logistics businesses including but not limited to:
- Trading & Supply Commercial Businesses: trading crude oil, oil products and biofuels, chemicals, LNG, gas and power, and environmental products
- Operational Support: Commercial Operations (e.g., customer integration, customer portals), Distribution Operations (e.g., terminal operations, road transport), Shipping & Maritime (e.g., Ship Management, Maritime Standards)
- Trading & Supply Functional Partners such as: Compliance, Risk, Finance, Contracts and Procurement
- The Trading & Supply SME will report to the T&S SME Leads within the Software Engineering Capability Center.
What’s the role?
The accountabilities of an SME touch the whole spectrum of IT delivery – identifying and defining the business needs of the users and stakeholders, guiding solution design to meet those business needs in line with both, business and IT, strategic roadmaps, ensuring seamless fit between processes, training, and solutions, protecting and exploiting value realization of product and information management investments, all in close alignment with the natural team.
The SME plays a leadership role within the natural team through coaching, teaching and supporting other team members, participating in the delivery team leadership discussions, and where they are a technical expert, serving as the Tech lead for the domain. Each SME is an active participant in delivery activities based on their capabilities and the product / portfolio team needs.
In addition to their delivery activities, the SME will play a key role in:
- Influencing, helping shape, and ensuring all delivery preserves or aligns to the portfolio / product roadmap and strategies.
- Developing and maintaining a strong domain expertise with deep process, data, and tools knowledge within the product portfolio.
- Creating a collaborative and learner mindset environment to spread business/technical knowledge across IDE & T&S natural teams.
- In association with the IT support organisation, ensuring the stability, integrity and performance of the operational environments and the realisation of identified improvement opportunities and requirements.
- Handing over knowledge to the IT support organization to enable supportability of operational environments
- Facilitating seamless integration with other product/application delivery teams to enable end to end delivery of services to the Business.
- Initiating and driving the execution of small enhancement activities.
- Building trusted partnerships across multiple stakeholders such as Business Interface Managers, business partners, suppliers, project/product team members, and the IT support organization
- Providing consultancy and occasionally lead initiatives to support operations in security, incident/problem management, change management and other run and maintain activities
- Partnering with data and solution Architects to ensure correct translation of specifications/design into high level design and technical specifications
- Ensuring compliance of the T&S design with the principles of simplification and standardization
- Supporting the development of Training Material
- In some cases, play a lead role to manage delivery of enhancements and small projects
- The SME will be expected to focus on a specific product or project where they will play both a key delivery and strategic role. They will act as the expert and go-to person in the area for many of the design, strategy and other ongoing activities and initiatives alluded to in the accountabilities list above.
What we need from you?
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar degree
- At least 5 years of IT experience and 2 years of experience working closely with development teams and business.
- At least 3 years experience in Trading, Supply or Logistics businesses, with a deep knowledge of IT and business landscape in one or more areas of these businesses.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Committed to learning and staying abreast to internal and external trends and best practices.
- Capacity to cultivate and continuously expand expertise in a domain.
- Able to act as a focal point for a specialised area (technical or business), able to lead teams without formal authority, while managing multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, being comfortable interacting with and able to communicate clearly with senior stakeholders.
- Proven ability to deal with conflict and ambiguity effectively.
- Team player. Able to work effectively with all levels and parts of business and IT organisation.
- Ability to work effectively in virtual, geographically dispersed, cross cultural environments.
- Not required but preferred to have - Continuous improvement focused. Familiarity or experience with agile methodologies such as Scrum, LEAN, Kanban, XP Programming etc.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.