Manager – Market Risk Advisory East
What’s the role?
The role of the Market Risk Advisory East function is to identify, measure and report on the level of risk, to advise the commercial teams on mitigation strategies consistent with defined risk appetite and to provide assessment and insight to senior management.
This role will report to the Head of Market Risk Advisory, Shell Energy Americas and will be in Houston office serving as the focal point for Market Risk to the Gas and Power portfolio managers and other local enabling functions. This role will manage a team located in the Houston office. The primary regional focus will be our Eastern gas and power markets including: PJM, NYISO, ISO-NE and associated gas markets.
As a Manager – Market Risk Advisory East, your team will have the responsibility to:
- Understand supply and demand fundamentals, including regional/locational price differences, fundamental drivers of changes in these spreads, historical market direction and trends/underlying fundamental causes
- Develop and mentor a talented team of Senior analysts and analysts to enable their growth and performance.
- Ensure adherence to mandated exposure and risk limits and provide guidance on actions to be taken to reduce risk if necessary
- Work closely with functional stakeholders to ensure trading risks and returns are fully understood, captured, and challenged where necessary. This will also include longer term risks, inherent in contracts such as, but not limited to, storage, pipelines, tolling agreements and environmental products.
- Manage risk identification of model & portfolio assumptions and market inputs, pricing issues, and drive understanding of the design and utilization of VaR, stress testing, and scenario analysis.
- Partnering with the other Market Risk team managers to align best practices across the Shell Energy Americas platform.
- Understand, propose, and manage the local adoption of policy and methodology for the evaluation of any new or adapted market risk exposures.
- Understand and manage the development of mechanisms to value risk inherent from optionality contained in the portfolio and how this can be created and managed within Trading.
- Ensure that trading activities are properly represented within the relevant quarterly Market Risk committees and provide input into STN Enterprise Risk Management committees as needed.
- Evaluate new business opportunities by providing independent deal assessment including strategic/portfolio fit, limits impact evaluation, analysis of portfolio performance in various scenarios, identification of risks associated with the new deal, and back-testing strategies in collaboration with other Market Risk groups and the Deal Valuation team. Where applicable, provide peer review and challenge to deal proposals for other T&S businesses
- Analyze performance or hedge effectiveness/back-tests of trading strategies, identify multiple factors driving position and profit and loss changes and provide insight to stakeholders and consumers of risk data for context
- Provide daily, insightful, commentary of key portfolio activity including market intelligence, exposure changes and new deal activity
- Develop and refine the fair economic valuation approach and provide steer on usage of market risk reserves
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering or IT, Master’s preferable.
- 10+ years Gas and Power experience or 7+ in the East markets markets with 5+ years in risk preferably
- Advanced grasp of North American supply/demand dynamics, deal structures, demand forecasting, stress testing, scenario analysis, VaR and exposure reporting.
- Experience modelling long-term energy transactions, tolling agreements, renewable power purchase agreements (solar, wind, batteries, biomass), capacity agreements, contractual flexibilities, and non-linear products
- Advanced knowledge of deal structures and types, interpreting positions, P&L, mark to market concepts
- Capable of being independent from front office; able to objectively analyze, develop a view and challenge risks and exposures
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills, having the self-confidence to challenge traders on deals, valuations, positions, limit mandates
- Strong business analysis skills, modeling capabilities, research, and problem-solving skills, technologically oriented, proficient in working with computers and software applications, including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Experience with Endur or comparable energy trading risk management system and ability to fully leverage its functionality is a plus.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, results oriented, with strong communication and influencing skills.
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities
The base salary range for this position is $136,000 - $204,000 per year. Individual pay will be based on various factors such as relevant work experience, education, certifications, skill level, seniority, and internal equity.
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.