Risk Analyst Quantitative Methods
What is the role
The Quantitative Analyst (Americas) role’s primary stakeholders are commercial teams and risk managers located in T&S hubs of London, Houston, Rotterdam, Dubai, and Singapore, with global activities. The role focuses on providing pre- and post-deal quantitative analytics to support these teams, in particular covering businesses in the European and Americas’ time zones.
The new Credit Stress Testing & Potential Future Exposure team (PFE team) focuses on the delivery of regular and ad hoc stress testing activities for the Commercial and Risk Management teams. The PFE team also partners closely with the wider Risk and Shell IT teams to contribute to the planning and delivery of risk systems/IT change projects – such as our credit transformation project Global Credit Solution (GCS).
As Quantitative Analyst, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide ad hoc advanced analytics at a transaction level such as for the calculation of pre-deal exposures (potential future exposure, expected exposure, expected credit loss etc). Transactions can be long-dated and complex, often with embedded derivatives and may extend into illiquid parts of the curve.
- Collaborate with and support Commercial / Credit / Market Risk / Valuation teams with production reporting of complex modelled contracts e.g. complex LNG contract modelling, market risk price stochastic models, structured credit agreements, multi-variate options, as well as other ad-hoc requests from commercial senior management.
- Ensure analytics methods and tools have clear and appropriate documentation.
- Provide leadership and support to Risk colleagues, including the Shell Business Operation (SBO) teams based in Chennai and Manila that support with daily operational tasks.
- Contribute as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to risk analytics related projects as part of the transformation agenda within Risk
- Act as a centre of expertise for SME’s across Risk, providing ‘thought leadership’ and helping them to interpret the quantitative drivers for the portfolio and specific transactions booked in T&S
- Interface with stakeholders in Shell IT, Commercial and broader Risk.
- Must have legal authorization to work in US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- 5 or more years of experience in quantitative risk analytics within a trading organization (e.g. Gas, Power, Emissions, LNG or Oil desired)
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal), including an ability to concisely explain complex concepts to non-specialist stakeholders in terms of intent and application
- Proficiency with SQL, Python, SAS, or other programming languages is desirable
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and exercise good judgement when providing advice, questioning discrepancies, and escalating issues
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Where do you fit?
- Regional Head of Credit Americas Houston, United States
- Manager – Market Risk Advisory East Houston, United States
- Sr. Quantitative Analyst Houston, United States
- Senior Market Risk Analyst Houston, United States
- Senior Market Risk Analyst Houston, United States
- Risk Analyst Quant Analysis and BI Houston, United States