Segment Architect - Well Delivery
Where you fit in
This role ensures the business value of digital and IT landscapes and solutions is maximized by applying knowledge of the business needs and opportunities, the existing portfolio of Information and Digital Technology (IDT), and the current and emerging technology and service capabilities. They support and enable the execution of the Strategy and Plans for the Portfolio of Wells and Shell as a whole.
This position will support the Business Lead Architect and Lead Segment Architect in the execution of architecture guidance, advisory and assurance activities for the Line of Business- Subsurface & Wells, Well Delivery.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing relationships with key stakeholders.
- Working closely with solution architects, solution data architects and deployment teams to provide architectural guidance and support them from an architecture perspective.
- Development of Segment Architectures, Reference Architectures and resulting Roadmaps.
The role includes an overall accountability for managing the end-to-end lifecycle of applications in the SS&W Well Delivery portfolio from an IDT architecture perspective, in close alignment with the entire business and IDT product management.
You need to have proven complex product knowledge and experience, ideally in the well delivery business, and understands how this needs to be translated into digital strategies and architectures. The resulting architecture guidance comes naturally and can be smoothly collaborated across stakeholders, including the business, IDT, solution architecture, and the engineering teams.
What’s the role?
The Segment Architect for Well Delivery has a strong combined business / technical background of implementing complex and robust enterprise-wide architectures and digital innovation solutions in the Well Delivery space and will be expected to work the relationship angle as well as be the ‘lead designer’ and ‘coordinator’.
- Provide clear guidelines and inspiration for digital and IT architecture and advancement of PoC/PoV results to scalable solutions for Well Delivery. This includes the provision of solution architecture development, guiding advisory and assurance to digital projects, making sure applications are well designed and conform to Shell standards and reference/segment architectures, as well as being an active contributor in JV and Industry standards activities. You’ll need to model this vision and capture it in BizzDesign, shared across the Architecture community.
- Steering of a (virtual) team of Solution (and Data) Architects who are accountable to the Project / Product Manager / Scrum Master for the architecture of a solution being developed and implemented until the successful deployment of the solutions. Directly collaboration with the engineering teams as needed to assure visions are being translated to reality.
- Follow digital and IT developments in the market and leverage this knowledge in architecting digital solutions in SS&W and Well Delivery.
- Stay in touch with development of standards and standard services in IDT at Shell, to ensure the latest service developments are considered.
- Pro-actively contribute to the development of the Architecture community and be an ambassador for Architecture. Interact with stakeholders on architecture issues and strategic improvements where such expertise is required.
What we need from you?
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 10+ years in digital and IT with 5+ years of (business-focused) digital and IT leadership experience.
- Proven track record of digital and IT architecture impact and success, ideally with a focus on Well Delivery.
- Strong engineering background and history of bringing your and architectures to reality.
- Understanding and deep knowledge in Data Platforms, Cloud-Native Applications and AI/ML.
- Stakeholder engagement is key to this role, in the broadest sense. Being sensitive to stakeholders, talking the right ‘language’ to specific target groups, and leading by example are crucial to the role. Being extremely curious about your own space, but also to the adjacent and outside world, and being able to translate that into actionable outcomes is another skill that need to be strongly present.
- Able to create an inspiring holistic future vision and strategy of a digital landscape, linked to business outcomes. You should also have an active view of the external market development and integrates these in the delivery of architectures.
- Use, derive and promote relevant guidelines, standards, reference architecture, tools, templates and stored artefacts to deliver architecture (solution, data, technical) in projects.
- Able to apply TOE standards and how to raise step-outs if needed. Assess vulnerability of technology and to explain relevant IRM strategy for Architecture.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.