Sr. Power Fundamentals Analyst
What is the role
Shell Energy North America is seeking a senior level individual to lead Short Term Power fundamental Analysiswith a focus on Northeast Markets (PJM, NYISO, and New England ISO). This position is responsible for supporting Shell Energy North America (and the larger Shell organization when business priorities permit) with analysis developed from a deep understanding of the key short and midterm drivers of the transmission, regulatory, supply and demand and – by extension – prices. This position must build credibility with internal customers so that such foresight can be translated into commercial gain primarily in the Trading business function but also in Sales and Business Development. The emphasis is on developing both qualitatively and quantitatively advantaged capabilities, supported as appropriate by models, tools and techniques that yield high quality insight. Collaborating with peers in the Fundamentals team to build scalability in this respect is essential.
- Use fundamental analysis techniques to support trading and origination decisions
- Research and understand the fundamentals drivers related to supply/demand/transmission in the context of short and midterm modeling focused on developing forward pricing views
- Monitor market developments in market design/regulatory issues that could impact prices
- Maintain and perform models capable of zonal and nodal market simulations
- Work collaboratively with other natural gas and power analysts
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- BA in Engineering/Computer Science/Mathematics/Economics/Econometrics required, Masters/PhD preferred
- 5+ Years of experience of Power Fundamentals work within an energy trading environment
- Must be able to develop Fundamental views that will be translated into profitable trades
- Comfort level with technology based research given the ability to manage multiple high priority tasks
- Proficiency with typical Microsoft Office applications
- 5+ years of experience with at least one of the following applications:
- UPlan, ProMod, Powerworld and Aurora
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relations at multiple levels and across teams
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Ability to filter multiple perspectives for commercially actionable intelligence
- Demonstrated understanding of power fundamentals
For regular full-time or regular part-time employees of the Company (participating companies as listed in the Summary Plan Description), insurance coverage options include medical, dental, vision coverage, life Insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs. Employees also participate in a company pension plan and a 401(k) plan. Paid leave includes up to 6 weeks of paid vacation time, up to 11 paid holidays, and parental leave offering 16 weeks of paid leave to birthing mothers, and 8 weeks of paid leave for non-birthing parents. Additionally, employees are eligible for disability leave for up to 52 weeks at 100% or 50% of base pay. Shell also offers other compensation such financial reimbursement for adoption, wellness, education, and personal learning expenses, and some roles are eligible for discretionary long-term incentives. For interns, eligible benefits include medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Occupational Accidental Death Benefit programs; participation in a 401(k) plan; and paid leave for up to 11 paid holidays. Additional information on Shell’s US benefit programs can be found at https://www.shell.us/careers/about-careers-at-shell/rewards-and-benefits.html
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never