STEM Careers at Shell
A career in STEM can open the door to amazing opportunities. Shell has long supported and been committed to nurturing female talent within STEM. We strive to educate and expose women to opportunities within STEM through our partnerships with universities and research centers.
Women in Engineering and Technology
Many forms of engineering are integral to Shell's overall operations and we believe that by also collaborating with industry partners, we can achieve more. Establishing a solid foundation in Engineering will put you in good stead to capitalize on a range of future possibilities inside Shell's broad technical arena and give you the chance to make a meaningful impact on the future of the industry.
A career in Information Technology at Shell will provide you a challenging and fast-paced working environment in which to help build, implement and support IT solutions for a range of highly complex business functions. IT roles at Shell will suit someone with the greatest capacity for teamwork, problem solving and commercial aptitude.
Computational Science team
Shell's Computational Science team is looking for innovative and technically focused talent to deliver bespoke, high-end IT services to all areas of the business including Geoscience, Reservoir Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. With a career in Computational Science, you will have far-reaching influence on Shell’s commercial and operational objectives.
Structures Engineer Offshore Wind
What is the role
Shell’s Powering Progress strategy includes developing renewable energy generation to unlock value and anchor integrated energy basins.
Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind (ASOW) is a set of flagship projects in renewable generation and will be one of the first offshore wind projects to be developed in the US.
Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind is a 50:50 partnership between Shell New Energies US LLC and EDF Renewables North America. The joint-venture (JV) company was formed in December 2018 to co-develop a 183,353-acre lease area on the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf. The newly subdivided lease areas (OCS-A-0499 and OCS-A-0549) are located within the New Jersey Wind Energy Area. In June 2021, the JV was awarded a 20-year Offshore Renewable Energy Credit (OREC) by the New Jersey Bureau of Public Utilities for Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind Project 1, a 1,510 MW offshore wind project located within Lease OCS-A-0499 to begin construction and reach commercial operation in the mid-to-late 2020s. Additionally, in February 2022, the JV was determined to be a provisional winner of Bight Lease 0541, adding 79,351 acres to its portfolio.
More information on Atlantic Shores:
Atlantic Shores Website : Clean Wind Energy in New Jersey & New York | Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind (atlanticshoreswind.com)
EDF Renewables and Shell Invest in New Jersey Offshore Wind - EDF Renewables North America (edf-re.com)
Shell/EDF partnership Press Release : EDF Renewables and Shell Invest in New Jersey Offshore Wind - EDF Renewables North America (edf-re.com)
Project 1 award press release : Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind Secures Lease in New York Bight Auction - Atlantic Shores Offshore Wind (atlanticshoreswind.com)
The Structures Engineer Offshore Wind will support the front-end delivery, development, and construction of offshore wind projects, focusing on performing and reviewing offshore structural designs.
- Technology assessment
- Steward technical and site selection assessments from Fixed Offshore Structures suppliers
- Steward supplier’s fabrication plan maturation, including: labor productivity, supply chain, foundation staging, foundation launching
- Leverage technical and delivery experience to support risk identification (Opportunities & Threats) and assessment reviews
- Support technical interface with other Technical Disciplines, i.e. Wind Turbine Generator (WTG), Inter Array Cable (IAC)
- Support ASOW foundation Project Manager and Commercial/Development Leads with post select decision Project Planning and Scoping activities
- Foundations Engineering (Offshore structure supporting the WTG)
- Provide design guidance and technical verification of the turbine foundations. Includes guidance inputs for the design, fabrication, transportation, and installation phases of the structures
- Support commercial and technical work with external foundations vendors
- Generate and maintain technical design basis for foundations
- Identify activities required within engineering scopes to advance foundation definition to meet internal milestones
- Ensure design and execution meets all JV HSE requirements
- Interface Activities
- Provide support for interface with regulatory agencies and Certification Agencies. Prepare required documents for submittal and approval
- Interface with other Atlantic Shores technical, development, and commercial teams to ensure communication of required inputs and outputs
- Management Activities
- Support Foundations Manager to address ad-hoc requests from Atlantic Shores Technical or other Directors
- Contribute in preparing schedules and cost estimates for foundations
- Support preparation of weekly and monthly status, progress, and forecast updates as part of standard Project KPI functions
- Identify areas where expert knowledge and peer reviews are necessary and coordinate the sharing of specific and succinct information relevant to the area of review
- Ensure compliance with internal quality standards for project execution
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Civil Engineering, Naval Architecture or similar. Professional engineering license preferred
- 5yrs+ experience in Civil or Structural Engineering and Construction Projects. Experience on projects associated with marine environment preferred
- Knowledge of construction methods, site suitability assessments and multi-unit fabrication an asset
- Broad knowledge of the abilities of US and European contractors in offshore wind
- Experience in structural-geotechnical interactions preferred
- High energy, self-motivated, collaborative individual
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural context
- Great communication skills with demonstrated ability to interface with other technical, commercial, and development teams.
- A high degree of organizational skills as well as skills in written and oral communications
Ability to travel every other month to a separate Atlantic Shores or parent office for 3-5 days at a time. Travel to fabrication sites, installation vessels and vendor offices.
85% of time is spent in the office environment, utilizing, phones, and general office equipment. Approximately 15% of the time is spent in offsite workshops or visiting other Atlantic Shores or parent offices, in offsite training, or visiting contractors or the project site. Personal protective equipment required. Possible requirement for offshore survival training and other safety training.
The base salary range for this position is $122,000.00 - $182,000.00 per year. Individual pay will be based on various factors, such as relevant work experience, education, certifications, skill level, seniority, and internal equity.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach. Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you are proud of your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities.
Shared Parental Leave
The new Shared Parental Leave legislation goes beyond breaking the stereotype that dads don’t change nappies: it’s a vital step towards true equality in the home and the workplace. Shell actively promotes a healthy work/life balance through family-friendly programs, such as an enhanced pay during Shared Parental Leave and flexible working arrangements. Find out more.
Global Minimum Standard for Maternity Leave
Shell is proud to be the first major integrated oil and gas company to announce a global minimum standard of 16 weeks paid maternity leave, enabling new mothers to put their families first and spend more time with their newborns. Find out more.
We believe in offering a competitive and contemporary benefits package that focuses on individual choice based on personal needs and preferences.
Shell health plans offer flexibility and choice to help meet the health care needs of you and your family (including Domestic Partners). Your options in Medical, Dental and Vision provide access to high quality care providers throughout the United States. Flexible Spending Accounts offer tax savings when used to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses incurred by you and your Dependents.
Shell offers programs to protect you and your family from the unexpected. You have access to company-paid coverage, plus the flexibility to choose optional insurance coverage to meet your specific needs. We recognize that there are additional demands outside of work. We offer programs that help you with those everyday challenges and child care needs. We also offer programs that focus on additional protection for your family.
Shell offers a contemporary and highly competitive wealth and retirement benefit package. We offer a savings plan with generous employer contributions. You can also participate in an employee stock purchase plan. Through a combination of plans and special features, you have the flexibility to actively manage your retirement benefits. These benefits are designed to provide a foundation for your future financial security.
Shell understands and respects the importance of both work and personal life. That is why we have made – and are continuing to make – changes in the workplace that make it easier for you to achieve balance in all aspects of your life. Shell’s policies and resources offer solutions that are innovative and flexible to meet employees’ diverse needs.
Work and Family Programs
To help balance and support work and family responsibilities, Shell offers a variety of work and family programs.