Subsurface Data Engineer
Subsurface Data Management is helping Shell execute a strategy of moving from Epicure to OSDU. At the same time Shell has unleashed multiple digitalization efforts that require large volumes of SSW data.
You’ll will be responsible for finding new ways to help Subsurface Data Management execute upon the strategic movement of SSW data to a new platform (Point C), providing opportunities to unlock value from data now (Point B), and post Point C (once OSDU is deployed).
Your success in this role will flow not only from your technical abilities, but your capacity to manage leaders across natural teams and convince them of the business value to your approaches.
Where you fit in
- The Integration team is part of the Integration and Seismic Data management team under the GM Subsurface Data Management & WF in the Upstream Subsurface Digital and Data VP-ship.
- The Integration Team works with the business and IT to improve the data landscape with ambitious and realistic plans and have a track record integrating on-premise and cloud systems in a way that delivers business value in the Point B and C timelines.
- You will help the business find fast and lower-cost ways to deliver the data required to optimize digital solutions, accelerate global scaling and value replication, and enable innovative ways of working.
What is the role
As a member of this team, you will have the following key responsibilities:
Assist program and project teams (e.g. X-Digi/Data, (O)SDU and Subsurface Data Management) virtualize and integrate their data in order to deliver upon the tactical and strategic goals from those programs and projects.
Utilize your knowledge of source systems and project needs to become a liaison between the business and Shell IT.
Utilize your knowledge of cloud tooling to negotiate with Shell Architects on the positioning of new technology in SSW data flows. This is convincing IT Stakeholders of the validity of our technical solutions.
Convey to management, programs and projects the business value of our approach to integration. This is convincing the business of the value of our solutions.
Work scope requires business domain knowledge and technical TIDM knowledge with demonstrable passion for identifying, developing, and deploying new ideas and ways of working. Within this role there will be significant interaction with leaders of programs, projects, IT and Subsurface Data Management, your ability to convey your technical knowledge and how it enables business value will be key to your success.
What we need from you
You will bring an open and external mindset with a sense of urgency to drive strategic SSW data integration improvements. You will collaborate and work across organizational boundaries and help develop a collaborative natural team with the business stakeholders.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis
- 6+ years in a Technical Data Management Role Or proven experience leading projects within Technical Data Management programs. Or proven experience in a relevant data engineering or data science program of project.
- An appetite to discover new technology solutions to improve our technical data workflows that transform our ways of working.
- Experience with AWS services, or Azure equivalents.
- Programming skills utilized in the data science domain (e.g. Python).
- Self-starting and self-managed. You will need to move from requirements to a decomposed set of work (user stories) and deliver that work in 2-week increments (sprints).
- Be able to convey to Product Owners, Program Managers, Chief Data Officers, and Architects the “why” and “how” of your approach to delivering work.
- Be able to convey the business value of proposed solutions to Product Owners, Program Managers, CDOs and Architects when proposing solutions to work, or responding to challenges.
- Knowledge, or experience with, data virtualization tools, especially Denodo would be beneficial.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.