IT/Operational Technology Security Engr
What’s the role?
The IT/OT Security Engineer role is a 50/50 combination of Control System IT security as well as general IT support. Interested candidates should be knowledgeable in the support, design, configuration, and change of Operational Technology and their integration into the overall local network (also called the Process Control Domain). This role is particularly focused on the design, configuration, and maintenance of network security controls that safeguard the process control layer from outsider access.
The role also includes support of the IT landscape used by various Lab IT systems; coordination between site staff and central IT support teams to help drive resolution of difficult issues regarding manufacturing applications; and coordination with local and central IT support teams on general office IT issues affecting the site
The role is based at the Shell Catalysts & Technologies plant in Leuna, Germany includes both the Manufacturing and Lab environments at the site.
- Operate the OT cyber security controls focusing on patching, anti-virus, backup & restore, and asset inventory controls
- Provide IT support to OT through server system administration, workstation support, network support, and break/fix
- Maintain asset inventory and logical network drawings of OT components documenting OT systems, network traffic, and data interfaces
- Design and implement data communication channels and technology selections for data transfers between systems
- Develop, maintain, and execute any site-specific procedures required to maintain OT security compliance
- Have an overview of security measures implemented and documented non-compliance to information security requirements
- Coordination with the site Controls System Engineers, Lab focal points, and Management for remediation activities and to assure controls and procedures in place.
- Support of LAB IT landscape and coordination with Lab users on installation and upgrade of lab systems
- Coordination between local users and manufacturing application support teams to help drive successful outcomes for manufacturing operations
- Coordination and alignment with the local site DSE (Dedicated IT Support Engineer) and Shell IT Operations focal points on IT issues as needed
- Execute day-to-day information security tasks related to OT infrastructure
- Monitor servers, networks and communication equipment using implemented tools, systems and applications (SolarWinds, Splunk, etc)
- Maintain and backup system configuration for servers and network equipment and ensure backups are stored securely
- Review security logs and provide reports for identifying potential intrusion, and escalate incidents as necessary, ensuring incidents are properly investigated, remediated, reviewed and closed
- Implement change management procedures and testing procedures for network and endpoint security and ensure endorsement from business
- Patch and update network device firmware
- Design, implement, and review firewall rules in line with Shell’s cyber security best practices
Project & Discretionary Activities
- Act as a site-specific project resource for both OT and IT projects/discretionary work as demand requires
- Provide support on OT cyber security, network, and OT system design to projects including architecture, risk assessment, and implementation phases
- Provide afterhours support on an exception basis
What we need from you
- Significant experience in implementing and managing IT security within an operating environment
- Minimum Education or Certification: Degree related to Information Technology
- A strong understanding of international industrial cyber security standards and ecosystem
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Fluent in both German and English language
- Strong stakeholder management
- Strong technical skills and experience with network device configuration (switch, router, firewall) and systems administration (Wintel, Linux)
- Cyber Security skills including risk assessment
- Engineering/PACO (Process Automation, Control and Optimization) experience/certification
- Attain GICSP within first year is an advantage
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they don’t feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
At Shell Germany, our drive is to employ world-class individuals. We employ 4,200 people whose careers have benefited from our industry-leading career development programme and unrivalled inhouse access to local and global experts. We are active in many areas such as Gas, Gas Marketing, Manufacturing & Distribution of oil products, Petrochemicals as well as Research & Development. Shell in Germany is one of the biggest retailers of energy products and one of the largest refinery operators. Our extensive R&D facilities in Hamburg allow us to offer a broad range of expertise on Retail Fuels, Lubes, and Marine, Power and Engine Vehicle Technology. Shell began operations in Germany in 1902.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.