AI Resident-Deep Reinforcement Learning
This role is part of the AI Residency Programme, and is a 2-year fixed term contract.
As an AI Resident - Deep Reinforcement Learning, you will devise Advanced Machine Learning solutions to business problems and develop code on different cloud computing platforms. You will be working with the stakeholders and subject matter experts of the various businesses as well as external strategic partners, both commercial and academia. You will apply best practices in conducting research and development and build solutions that deliver value to the end-users. You will also contribute to further grow the capabilities and broaden the expertise in the team. On a day-to-day basis, you will work closely with the Principal Data Scientist for Deep Reinforcement Learning (Deep RL). This role applies Deep RL to problems across the different lines of business.
What’s the role?
More specifically, your role will include:
- Translate complex business problems into Machine Learning solutions
- Design, implement and deliver Advanced Machine Learning and, in particular, Deep RL solutions to solve a wide variety of business problems
- Provide expertise in Machine Learning and Deep RL
- Build relationships with internal project stakeholders and external partners, both commercial and academia
- Be a proactive communicator who is excited to share your work and present the insights and findings
- Draft Technical papers and publish/present at top-tier conferences.
- Be articulate and compelling in describing your ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences and back up your message with visualizations
- Stay current on state-of-the-art approaches and new Advanced Machine Learning techniques
- Connect with universities, partners, and other external entities to bring in new ideas and solutions
What we need from you?
When it comes to developing one of Shell’s forward-looking innovation programs, your strategic thinking and strategic partnership development capability will make all the difference. You should have the capability to develop working relationships where you will connect the internal and external innovators, take up their innovations, and help to shape it into a robust product that is ready to generate commercial value.
Furthermore, you should have:
- Direct from Ph.D. or Masters or Bachelors with proven work experience
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Operations Research
- PhD in relevant domain is an advantage
- Experience across the project life-cycle from ideation to delivery
- Hands-on experience of building Machine Learning and Deep RL models in Python
- Experience using git for version control
- Experience with Python Deep Learning libraries such as PyTorch, Keras, Tensorflow
- Experience with Python Deep RL libraries such as Stable Baselines, RLlib or tensorforce as well as OpenAI Gym is an advantage
- Experience working in AzureML and / or AWS SageMaker is an advantage
- A problem-solving mindset and an enthusiasm for learning new skills
- Ability to work on complex problems and deliver business critical solutions
- Track record of delivering on projects
- Solid professional software engineering skills
- Excellent communications skills and experience working in agile teams
- Track record of conference / journal publications is an advantage
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.