Head of System Integration & Flex Tech
Shell is making significant steps in the energy transition. The recently established Power Technology organisation drives energy transition through development and deployment of new power products. Together with our partners we develop cutting edge, competitive and scalable energy storage and integration technologies to enable a 24/7 renewable powered economy. Our storage and integration products aim to enable continuous use of renewable power namely to manage energy expenses over time, to improve energy reliability and to decrease the strain on the grid.
System integration is not a systematic process. Its significant complexity and uncertainty require hands on experience and detailed knowledge of electrical systems response behaviour across applications in various sectors (industry and mobility etc). As the energy system will evolve to include large amounts of intermittent renewable energy. The ability to predict and control applications (e.g. storage, conversion, charging) is crucial to unlock flexibility and to keep decarbonised electricity systems safe, reliable and cost-competitive. Our team leverages a global technology perspective and footprint to accelerate and scale up Shell’s decarbonisation solutions at home/work and on the road.
Where you fit in
As Head of System Integration & Flex Tech, you will build a team of product leads and engineers. That scale up technology, tools and processes to optimise flexible assets in Shell’s key energy markets. Our goals are to enable deeper integration of renewable energy and to monetise flexibility.
The scope of this role includes hardware, firmware and software (edge, on-prem and cloud) related to the control and optimal operation at the individual, aggregate and portfolio level of flexible energy assets. Virtual power plants (VPPs) being a well-known example. It also includes the tools and organisational processes related to the valuation of flex-backed business models (customer offerings, portfolio optimisation, asset investments, etc).
You will report to the General Manager Energy Storage & Integration Technology as part of the Power Technology organisation.
What’s the role?
You will lead the global scale up of key system integration and flex technologies working hand-in-hand with and leveraging the industry/application/regulatory expertise - that is embedded in various Shell businesses and functions. More specifically, you will:
1. Build and lead team of Product Leads and Engineers, that drives maturation and deployment of scalable/repeatable system integration - flex solutions for Shell and our portfolio companies
2. Guide cross-business teams including colleagues from Energy Marketing, Trading, Renewable Generation, Sectors & Decarbonisation, E-Mobility, Digital Technology and our portfolio companies (Limejump, NextKraftwerke, Sonnen, etc)
- Identify near and mid-term flex use cases and product requirements by connecting the business and technical worlds
- Evaluate commercial readiness and potential of relevant technologies for different geographies through regulatory and techno-economic analyses
- develop, plan, implement and iterate the global system integration and flex technology strategy and roadmaps
- Accelerate maturation of pivotal inhouse and external technologies, tools and processes; piloting, demonstrating and deploying towards commercial scale
- Drive the scale-up across key power markets
3. Engage with customers, start-ups, academic, commercial and supply chain partners to grow knowledge of current and emerging opportunities and technologies
4. Be responsible for technical reports, patent filings and contribute to results published in peer-reviewed publications
5. Represent Shell in relevant academic and industry platforms and present at conferences
6. Be a trusted advisor for e.g. Shell sector teams, Shell Ventures and Shell Trading
What we need from you
- MSc/PhD or extensive working experience in Engineering, Computational/Data Science or Maths. Additional Trading or Commercial experience is a plus
- Track record in digital product development for power trading and/or energy supply businesses under a variety of regulatory systems
- Ability to integrate a wide variety of customer needs and stakeholder interests via effective stakeholder and project management. Breaking down complex problems into steps that drive product development
- Deep understanding of and experience in project valuation and portfolio optimisation including analysis of opportunities, risks and uncertainties
- Collaborative leadership style with a track record of motivating, developing and empowering diverse teams in rapidly changing and challenging environments
- You are fun to work with, keen to keep learning and persistent towards your end goal
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.