Operational Risk Manager
Where you fit in?
The size and complexity of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has increased substantially over the past few years and the expectations around risk management from a regulatory perspective have also shifted for Energy trading. We are therefore strengthening the risk management capabilities of the organization from a people, process, data and systems perspective in both the first and second lines of defence.
The Operational Risk Manager is a new second line role and will work in partnership with 1LOD to embed the components of the integrated framework for the Risk Management Approach across T&S. You will report to the Head of Operational Risk Coverage supporting all lines of business and regions with some specialization expected as the maturity of the function develops over time. Additionally, you will work with T&S Commercial, Compliance, Finance and Group Functions. The Shell T&S hubs are in London, Houston, Rotterdam, Dubai and Singapore, with global activities.
What is the role?
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Provide 2nd line business-facing expertise and guidance on Operational Risk topics within T&S;
- Advising commercial leadership teams and the Business Integration and Assurance Managers (BIAMs, responsible for risk management in the first line) on how to apply and operationalize the policies and procedures describing the framework for the Risk Management Approach within their business as they relate to operational risk;
- Support and partner with the business/BIAM teams to implement components of the integrated framework for the Risk Management Approach providing appropriate training, ongoing guidance and respectful challenge;
- Support business decisions by providing advice and direction to the commercial businesses on the health of the T&S control frameworks for Operational Risk;
- Contribute to T&S governance meetings related to the Operational Risk profile;
- Support the generation of operational risk profiles for each region/business;
- Escalate operational risk/control issues to commercial stakeholders and advise on steps to be taken by the business to manage and/or mitigate the issue;
- Support the Head of Operational Risk Coverage in their role as the primary advisor on risk management to the Front Office Controls Enhancement programme;
- Promote a positive risk culture which supports a “Learner Mindset” around operational risk issues and encourages learnings from incidents;
- Support documentation of Control Learning Events (or equivalent “lessons learned”) by 1LOD and, where appropriate, facilitate the “read across” to other parts of T&S;
- Support the commercial business in assessing the design and effectiveness of business controls for Operational Risk whilst providing independent challenge and independent assurance where appropriate.
What we need from you?
We'd hope to see as many of the following as possible on your CV:
- Strong understanding and technical knowledge of non-financial risk management in a complex Trading organization;
- Ideally experience of physical and financial commodity trading and/or having worked in a regulated trading business;
- Clear understanding of the “3 Lines of Defence” model and segregation of duties for each LOD;
- Good understanding of the suite of controls which are generally employed to mitigate various types of Operational Risk within a complex trading organization and ability to articulate “what does good look like?” to the rest of T&S;
- Proven ability to work in partnership with the 1st line of defence;
- High quality written and visual presentation skills (Word, PowerPoint);
- Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized;
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, highly motivated, outcome driven;
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues;
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.