Where you fit in
Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products (SE-EE) is part of Shell Trading & Supply organization with a focus on European gas and power markets, and global emissions market. European power business is a highly dynamic and challenging environment, which requires SE-EE to continuously find new CVPs for its suppliers and customers to be able to grow its portfolio. In that context, Shell agreed to acquire 100% of Next Kraftwerke (Next), the largest Virtual Power Plant platform in Europe, to strengthen its position as a leading power trader for renewable energies (still subject to approval by the regulatory authorities). This role will be part of European Power Business Development and Origination Desk located in London but will work very closely with Next’s team to develop and deliver a joint deal funnel. Power BD Team handles physical and financial structured products, working very closely with Trading and Deal Structuring desks.
What's the role
Power is a growth area for Shell and business development & origination will continue to be at the forefront of value delivery. This role will focus on markets that Next has established presence with particular emphasis on growing the mid/long term renewable portfolio of SE-EE. In this role you’ll be expected to:
- Develop Physical and financial mid/long term PPAs with renewable developers
- Cross sell products to Next customer base (such as short term hedges or optional structures)
- Grow Next’s existing short term asset management business
- Support New Energies investments by providing PPAs and commercialization support
- Develop new CVPs with Structured Finance team
- Working closely with other originators, traders and Local Offices to structure renewable offtake deals with corporates and sell down the exposures
What we need from you
The role requires mastery skill in identifying the opportunity, a superb co-ordination between internal and external stakeholders and solid execution to capture the value. We are looking for someone who can work closely with Next and grow power portfolio significantly in terms of developing new products, enriching the number of customers/trading partners and creating a sizable power and certificate business under SE-EE and Next.
- Experience in renewable PPA origination or asset development, and proven track record of a generating sustainable P&L
- Commercial acumen including solid negotiating skills, with demonstrated ability to identify and close opportunities
- Deep understanding of market fundamentals and pricing levers to be able to differentiate Shell’s value proposition
- Good understanding of risk identification and management i.e. the end to end process from origination to trading around the positions
- Excellent communication/presentation skills and proven ability to collaborate across teams
- Solid understanding of regulatory landscape and ability to relate this to impacts for Shell and its clients
- Able to perform a number of tasks under severe time pressure, in challenging and stressful environments
- Good attention to detail and ability to work to short time frames
- A self-starter in general
Shell Trading is interested in attracting people who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.
This is an external facing and pan European role which entails travelling across Europe.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.