The position calls for a self-motivated, entrepreneurial and responsible individual with the ability to perform well under pressure. You will be working in a rapidly evolving business area, requiring you to be innovative and capable of independently identifying and responding to business need. This role would suit highly motivated individuals who want to become a driving force for innovation within the Environmental Products Trading Business (EPTB), both in terms of systems, risk and pricing but also in terms of deal structures, commercial ideation and gross margin delivery.
Where you fit in
The Environmental Products Trading Business (EPTB) operates in environmental product markets across the globe and has the following objectives:
- Build Portfolios and Optimize: We leverage deep understanding of compliance and voluntary markets – and the connections between them – to capture opportunities across market mechanisms, geographies, methodologies, vintages, contract duration and type. We integrate perspectives from all demand sinks and supply sources in real time to take proprietary positions across the environmental value chain. This leads us to build portfolios that warehouse significant optionality, structure and risk, with the objective of optimizing returns.
- Risk Manage, Develop Structure, Take Positions: We warehouse risk – price, volume, credit, liquidity, reputation, technical, quality, operational, regulatory to name several – and pursue diversification & mitigation of these in our portfolio construction, structure development and option creation. This informs our proprietary position take, leading us to capture outright price movements from intraday through to multiple years.
- Manage External Relationships: We are experienced in building long lasting relationships with third parties, from ideation through to start up and into material production or offtake. We are proficient in connecting the financing, commercial terms, operations, systems and platforms that enable sustained delivery, continuously refining these in the pursuit of efficiencies and scale.
- Agility: We anticipate new products and opportunities, pivot quickly and build positions ahead of market evolution. As examples: adapting to new restrictions, reinventing business models, commercializing emergent technologies and interpreting regulatory changes in and across the markets we participate in.
What’s the role?
The role is as a Quantitative Researcher for Carbon Markets within the Global Environmental Products Trading Business (EPTB). Reporting into the RTL for Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) and working closely with the Regulated Markets Trading team you will assist in building out tools and applications that leverage your quantitative skill and drive value add optimisation across the European Emissions market (EU-ETS), as well as the wider European energy complex (Coal, Power & Gas) and other Global Environmental markets (e.g. CCAs, NZUs).
You will primarily be responsible for helping traders manage a varied, complex and rapidly evolving set of quantitative requirements across Environmental Product markets.
The role will require you to:
- Collaborate and build effective working relationships with traders to optimise and improve valuations and trading strategies, with a strong focus on the modelling, pricing and management of multiple carry and spread option trades
- Discuss and design workflows and processes with the trading team and identify where quantitative research can help drive efficiency and greater value add
- Write code that helps traders interpret valuations, risk, market-data, opportunities and operational performance as well as stress test portfolios and the modelling of what-if scenarios
- Develop tooling that enables EPTB to sport and manage the most optimal carry opportunities across Global Environmental Markets
- Work closely with other Quantitative and Technology teams within Shell Energy Trading to ensure EPTBs systems and approach are aligned with best practice and running to their maximum potential
- Perform data mining using SQL databases and other analytical tools to build proprietary insight and a deep working knowledge of the EUETS, including money flows, options positioning and hedge balances
- With time, become more involved in the deal pipeline, modelling and risking deals that you believe warrant further quantitative thought, ultimately within the scope of becoming a driving force in EPTB’s push for technical and quantitative innovation and margin capture
What we need from you
We require a creative, profit focused individual with excellent quantitative skills and capable of contributing to the team ethos. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand.
Candidates are required to have a wide set of multidisciplinary skills including:
- BSc/MSc/PhD in a quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics) and advanced mathematical/statistical skills
- Excellent programming skills, including solid knowledge of the Python ecosystem and relevant components (e.g. Numpy, Scipy, Pandas, PySpark, Scikit Learn, TensorFlow) or C++
- A self-starter mentality, with strong analytical skills and understanding of the importance of optionality at a fundamental level
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, proactively approaching problems and working effectively within and across teams
This role is a challenging position with excellent development opportunities across Global EPTB and the wider T&S Organisation. We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and have respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.