Senior Shift Trader
This is an evolving role as part of the expansion of power trading within Shell. You’ll be liaising with the 24/7 gas shift desk to deliver additional value and work towards building one cohesive and aligned gas and power trading team.
Where you fit in
The UK Short Term Power Trading team forms part of the European Power trading organisation. The Senior Power Trader is part of a 24-hour shift team which is responsible for the commercial and operational management of SE-EE (Shell Energy Europe & Environmental) and Limejump power activities in UK and Netherlands.
The SE-EE power portfolio is an industry leading mix of remotely operated distributed generation assets, flexible renewable generation and algorithmically controlled storage assets. The UK Short Term Power Team was the first team to ever control aggregated generation units in the UK Balancing Market and the first team to ever control storage assets via the use of algorithms. The team continues to be the market leader in terms of short-term optimisation of physical assets.
What’s the role
As a Senior Shift Trader, you will be responsible for the physical optimisation of the UK and Netherlands power portfolio and will provide training and oversight to more junior traders. You will lead testing and implementation of new products and assets onto the desk and trading to deliver material P&L from the portfolio using physical assets, wholesale market trading and balancing market trading.
More specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure compliance with contractual customer obligations, alongside REMIT and Transmission Constraint License Condition (TCLC) and other Shell policies
- Responsible for the accurate trade allocation, nomination and physical scheduling of remote power assets including batteries, gas reciprocating engines, offshore wind and CCGTs
- Responsible for ensuring Shell HSSE standards are maintained throughout all remote physical asset instructions
- Monitor power and gas markets, short term fundamental supply/demand and SE-EE portfolio balances
- Set asset trading strategies for the team and drive a one-team approach to optimisation
- Minimise exposure to imbalances where appropriate
- Support development of commercial opportunities with SE-EE Business Development and Limejump
- Monitor the actions of algorithmic trading strategies in both UK and NL
What we need from you
We’re keen to speak from commercially-focused individuals with excellent experience and understanding of the UK energy market and Balancing Mechanism. You must have strong experience managing large physical assets in a 24/7 team. Graduate of a numerical degree is preferred.
We also hope your CV will show as many of the following as possible:
- Experience trading on exchanges and using an ETRM including a qualification to trade UK power on EPEX
- Good knowledge of European power markets and asset operations
- Working knowledge of relevant power codes and the implications on physical asset trading
- Experienced user of IT systems, skilled in MS office and preferably the ability to write basic programming code
- Track record of managing risk and delivering profit
A self-starter who can effectively multi-task and can solve problems quickly and efficiently under pressure. You have very strong attention to details and can assimilate large amounts of data quickly and make informed decisions. You’ll bring in your confidence and analytical skills to take ownership of issues, from managing it to resolution. You are a flexible team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills that can work accurately in a fast-paced and pressured environment.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then we have grown into a leading innovative oil and gas company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation, and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.