This role is for a Structured Analyst within Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products (SE-EE).
Shell Energy Europe and Environmental Products (SE-EE) is part of Shell Trading and trades in natural gas and power in Europe and environmental products with a global scope.
The Deal Structuring team within SE-EE is a commercial function accountable for the valuation and risk assessment of new complex contracts that takes ownership of the valuation and deal management methodology.
The main activity of the Deal Structuring team is close collaboration with Originators and Trading desks to develop deal opportunities that add value and to support growth of the portfolio within the Energy product space in Power & Gas in Europe and for Environmental Products across the globe.
The Deal Structuring team (currently 17 Deal Structurers) operates from the Shell trading hub in London where most of the team members are located with some individual ones located in Hague and Singapore. The main commercial stakeholders for the Deal Structuring team are the Power and Gas Businesses in Europe and the Environmental Product Trading Business (EPTB) that operates globally with desks in London, Singapore, San Diego and Shanghai and a presence in Australia.
To support the growing activities of the business, the Deal Structuring team needs to expand and we are therefore looking for a junior team member who would learn from senior structurers quantitative and analytical skills to become a Deal Structurer with a commercial mindset and the ability to manage a complex stakeholder environment across multiple locations. All business lines, in particular Power and EPTB, work in fast changing and illiquid markets and continuously need to adapt. The role therefore requires an agile, creative mind and strong work ethic to keep pace with the market developments.
Accountabilities for the role
The main responsibility of the role is to collaborate with the business developers and support the growth of the portfolio, while shadowing senior members and ultimately being accountable for the methodology of the valuation and risk assessment of complex transactions.
The role needs to:
- Represent the Deal Structuring team and build strong relationships with the business stakeholders and internal functional departments (including Risk, Finance, Credit)
- Collaborate with originators and traders to create innovative structured products in response to demand and changing market conditions
- Provide an independent view on structured transactions, with constructive challenge of the deal owner as required and suggest alternative solutions or improvements
- Shadow and learn from senior team members to develop models for pricing and risk assessment.
- Work closely with all relevant internal stakeholders during the approval process
- Collaborate with deal owners to manage and extract value from acquired structured positions.
- Maintain close, collaborative relationships with the wider origination team and other internal partners in the value chain such as Shell Renewables and Energy Solutions (RES)
- Maintain an outward mindset and ongoing commitment of Deal Structuring to the One-team approach
This role is a challenging position with excellent development opportunities across T&S and the wider Shell group. We require a creative individual with excellent analytical/numerical and interpersonal skills. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand. The successful candidate will show the will and the ability to contribute to this objective and to constantly improve personal and team performance.
We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork and generating creative solutions to problems.