Design Lead APAC
Creative Solutions is Shell’s internal team for integrated content creation, experiential and sponsorship activations for the Shell Group. We are responsible for creating a wide range of world-class integrated branded marketing materials, communication, campaign, content and events which combine photography, film, digital, social, design, presentation and print assets. We strive for effective, standout creativity in everything we do, by being at the forefront of new and innovative developments in the disciplines we cover.
Our dynamic team of 100+ communications professionals are located across nine locations: Calgary, Houston, London, The Hague, Krakow, Doha, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Beijing. We execute our work through a mix of in-house expertise and experienced communications project managers who deliver projects via a roster of curated agencies. Our in-house offer includes:
• An internal film unit which produces documentary style, long form and short form digital and social content.
• Photography team to manage Shell photographic assets, creative production and compliance
• Design discipline looking after Shell integrated campaign delivery – Over 1000 projects delivered in total in 2020
• 20+ Experiential project managers who deliver 250+ events annually, including incentive driven, proprietary and industry-led events and exhibitions, plus a new virtual event offer.
• Sponsorship expertise for motorsports and other branded sponsorship activations.
• A mix of roles to enable success, notably account managers as single focal points for Shell businesses, delivery managers to coordinate our traffic flow, deep channel subject matter experts and campaign project managers.
As a Strategic Design / Digital Lead majoring in Design & Digital, you will provide leadership among project managers as well as managing the design and digital portfolio within the Asian region. This will include self-managing priority key projects and working closely with our disciplines within Creative Solutions to provide a best class output. At the same time, coaching, mentoring and monitoring the workflow of the junior design and digital team is critical to a successful design proposition. (Design within Creative Solutions is a term that covers all creative communications channels where design is a crucial element, namely integrated campaigns including - Print, digital design, photography, and brand design artwork.
You will be responsible to work closely with the Global Discipline Lead for Design & Digital as the Asian lead counterpart and the execution of the design strategy in the region. You will be responsible for design allocation within the team, end to end delivery, ROI and project close-out, seamless customer service and agency roster management and service standards. In addition, you are expected to bring new learnings and fresh insights into the design domain to ensure Creative Solutions offerings remains best of class and at the forefront of customer choice.
This role will require high levels of senior stakeholder engagement, team management and development and will be a member of the Asian leadership team reporting to the Regional Manager based in Manila. An understanding of the design and digital landscape across the region will be advantageous. The role will require numerous interfaces and therefore a strong team player mentality to ensure the sound planning, organizing and executing of these projects through a global agency roster. You will work with the Account Managers and Delivery Regional Operations Manager to ensure process and financial alignment sharing success, learnings and driving collaboration where value can be created. Strong financial skills, exceptional project and stakeholder management are bedrocks to success, a clear mindset around health and safety and return on investment are mandatory requirements.
This role will assume the regional responsibility for design output, agency management and will provide over-all guidance on operations for the discipline: resolve issues and align activities with Shell’s functional standards, design intent and ambition. Must also have a flexible mindset on working outside standard local office hours is required.
On top of the regional responsibilities within Asia, your role will be assigned to handle variety of design and brand projects whether from Asia or other CS regions. The objective is for you to have an extensive immersion of CS operations and gain clear understanding of business strategies, production process and creative needs. You will work closely with the Global Discipline Lead for Design & Digital and will be expected to drive the entire project engagement with the stakeholder for identified key projects.
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF YOU
• The DESIGN: Strategic ASEAN Team Lead will have extensive experience in Design, Brand, Digital Photography, Print and Presentations. Reports to Regional manager in APAC and dotted line to Global Discipline Lead and connect the global team as needs to follow global best practice in design
• Support as the go-to subject-matter expert on all matters relating to Design content in the region – ideally, including Digital and Photography.
• You will be the go-to subject-matter expert on all matters relating to design content in the regional office. You will provide in-depth knowledge of the latest trends and innovations to the projects to raise the bar of creativity.
• You will help define the strategy for the overall creative approach on projects, which will be differentiating and compelling for Shell
• You will serve as the project management lead for critical projects assigned by the Global Discipline Lead for Design & Digital and or Regional Managers.
• You will be the sounding board for Account Managers and the wider Creative Solutions team, championing best practice and offering effective ways to further elevate briefs to create world-class communications solutions.
• You will provide direction on the placement of projects, ensuring the right work is placed with the best agencies.
• You will be the relationship manager for the rostered design related agencies in the region, and for suppliers, ensuring the best terms and conditions for our customers in the Businesses and Functions
• You will occasionally support special projects, such as agency roster expansion in the regions.
1. Ability to take a creative brief and transform it into something truly special that is the best the market can offer, at a competitive price.
2. Leadership attributes with excellent problem-solving skills, analytical, and decision-making skills.
3. Inspiring, confident and motivational leader, adding gravitas to the Design team, who motivates, coaches, empowers Design studio team members to deliver great work.
4. Experience to deliver local and international integrated creative campaigns via multi channels with trained and proven expertise of creative content creation.
5. External creative agency management to ensure there is a compelling roster of agencies who can deliver high quality, creative and brand compliant communications for multiple channels.
• Experience in managing a creative team/ creative agencies (either on a creative or operational function) with commercial mindset to manage, improve and grow the new Design studio to become an adding value service to Shell
• Manage, nurture and coach a small team of design and digital project managers/ specialists– ability to inspire
• Strong people management skills, efficient organization and great powers of persuasion.
• Stakeholder management across all levels to create and maintain valuable business relationship and able to hold and sell a creative idea internally.
• The ability to think strategically about how Creative Solutions can add value and able to communicate about design as an adding value ingredients to successful effective communications and create and grow valuable business relationship.
• Extensive experience working on fast-paced account(s) is essential. A track record of working in the design sector with an in-depth knowledge of what is new and innovative in the industry.
• At least 10 years of experience in all aspects of marketing communications from budget and planning, including managing either an in-house agency or external creative agencies.
• Ongoing requirement to influence without authority, through building strong and collaborative relationships.
• Extensive knowledge in Brand, Design, Print, Digital, Social, Effective Presentation and Photography.
• Entrepreneurial/Business development mindset with can-do attitude to setup the internal offering.
• As this is a role within a global team, some late night calls with be required occasionally.
1. To set up, lead and manage project managers to produce creative, high quality and cost-effective communication materials globally
2. To manage Design studio members to keep the level of quality of talents by recruiting, upscaling and coaching design studio member to deliver great and creative works.
3. To manage the relationship with the design/ digital agencies in our roster from regional perspectives, as well as identifying and onboarding new agencies as necessary.
4. Day-to-day management of the in-house Design team in line with business growth. Supporting briefs not only for Asia but for other regions.
5. To influence projects, providing in-depth knowledge of the latest trends and innovations
6. Provide leadership and coaching to the Creative Solutions Project Managers and members of the Design Studio and influence projects rather than managing to raise the bar of the quality and creativity of outcomes
7. To proactively seek opportunities for standardizing, streamlining and repurposing assets to drive cost effectiveness
8. Sourcing, Contracting and evaluating agencies to agreed service standards