Specialist - Credit Trading and Supply
Being part of a team of Trading & Supply Credit Analysts, who undertake all regular (often daily) Credit Activities primarily in support of all T&S entities, including:
1) Credit Re-Assessments and ad hoc credit assessment requests, specifically performing robust quantitative and qualitative analysis of the counterparties Shell trades with to confirm and recommend Credit Ratings, Credit Limits and terms.
2) Regular Credit Operations, specifically system updates and Credit Advice. Operations are an important part of the Trading & Supply Credit function requiring specialist, fast and dependable service to avoid downside risk, support the deal lifecycle and ensure it operates within the Credit control framework.
This team will become the future fourth office, which will be part of the Global Credit Underwriting & Operations Team (Houston, London, Singapore and Manila) and one of four global teams in the Global Trading & Supply organisation that is focused on instilling operational excellence.
This role encompasses a wide range of tasks and covers the majority of business lines with which Shell is involved in e.g. Crude & Products, Gas & Power, Marine etc. It therefore offers real variety and an opportunity to impact commercial outcomes. We are seeking an individual to join the team that can think creatively, has a passion to understand and critically assess the businesses with which Shell trades with through an understanding of the macro environment and is ready to bring ideas for continuous improvement.
Act as the day to day interface with the Global Trading Credit team, commercial and financial stakeholders to support and advise on the Credit Risk posed by counterparties delivered through the Credit Assessment process and performing Operational tasks relevant to the Trading & Supply Credit function. Tasks will include but not be limited to:
1) Conduct all Credit Activities as part of the ‘underwriting’/ customer/counterparty ongoing maintenance process for all trading & marketing businesses globally. These include:
- Re-evaluation of existing counterparties – the core part of the role includes performing Risk Assessment of existing customers achieved through assessment and analysis of Business Model (i.e. Competitive Positioning, financial performance and inherent macro and sovereign risks to determine appropriate Credit Rating and Credit Limit).
o Specific focus on higher risk (i.e. credit limits above $50m and low investment grade, non-investment grade, or unrated status) counterparties who require more comprehensive assessments and high levels of approval from senior leaders in the organization.
- Monitor and assess counterparties on an ad hoc basis as requested by the relevant global underwriting team.
- Data Integrity – Update and maintain the relevant Credit & Trading systems through the Credit Assessment life cycle, in particular updating new Credit Ratings and Open Credit Lines and communicating the outcome of assessments to relevant stakeholders, notably the Commercial Credit Managers and the T&S commercial business.
2) Perform ongoing (often daily) Credit Operational activities which include but not limited to:
o Effective operation of regular data integrity control, which aligns all system data with the relevant credit data, approved within each credit assessment.
o Contracting matters – ad hoc queries on contracts including liaison with Relevant Credit Managers.
o Support the Commercial Business - Provide interpretation of credit policy and guide the businesses on the principles of sound credit management. Keep up-to-date on issues within the businesses by having close relationships with the sales managers and reading information from industry sources.
3) Coaching more junior members of the team and helping support our colleagues across all STn Offices.
The Shell Trading Network is fast moving and growing rapidly. The Trading & Supply business is becoming increasingly complex with a changing macro-environment and with a shift in global supply-demand Shell Trading & Supply is seeking to do business in riskier Emerging Market countries and with entities that have questionable Credit Quality. This coupled with a generally Credit adverse macro environment makes it increasingly important that we review counterparties with a critical eye and provide robust and thorough Credit Assessments to justify decisions made.
Transactions being entered into are also of increasing number, complexity and tenor. The recent past has seen a strong rise in the number of derivative transactions. Furthermore, asset based trading strategies are also growing strongly, employing more working capital and introducing increased levels of risk and resource consumption.
All of which lead to the need for strong controls and an Operations team that is resilient, nimble and detail oriented
TThis role will report under the G&P SENA UW organisation, and will primarily support the respective Shell Trading Network companies: SENA/C, STRM, STUSCO SEB, Shell Mexico and New Frontiers, as appropritate
• This role creates the opportunity to further define the Global Trading Credit Organisation particularly in the new Trading & Supply world while we look to continually innovate and define best credit solutions to support the dynamic and fast-paced Trading and Supply business
• Maintain good, long-term relationships with counter-parties and other external financial institutions to ensure Shell Trading maintains the right external image and engagements with these bodies’ results in positive outcomes.
• Willingness to learn or currently have ability to navigate through various end use trading systems
• Demonstrate a firm grasp of the key commercial considerations, as well as an ability to weigh up and decide on the risks of each activity. The ability to know when to escalate is essential.
• Keep connected with the other teams within Credit, KYC and Trade Finance in all three core locations, to ensure the team understands emerging challenges the location-based teams are facing and can re-prioritize effort as required.
• Give enthusiastic and vocal support to the Global Trading Credit organisational changes, the benefits of which will in many cases be felt in the longer term, while continuing to meet the ongoing needs to the global Trading and Supply businesses in the immediate term.
• Maintain the ability, notwithstanding the transition to a global organisation, to respond immediately and decisively in the event of the ""known unknowns"" in the external environment. There will inevitably be peaks and troughs in the workload over the course of the year.
• Work effectively with other parts of finance, especially the Trading and Supply receivables team to demonstrate end to end knowledge.
Experiences & Qualifications
• Ideally, would have relevant finance experience with specific focus in Credit or prior work experience in the corporate sector, especially within a Trading or Credit team.
• Strong financial acumen - comfortable working with and assessing counterparties Financials i.e. Income statement, Balance Sheet and cash Flow Statement
• Strong commercial understanding, especially the ability to balance speed, cost benefit and long-term relationship management
• Clear attention to detail and passion for continued learning is essential so as to support the Credit Assessment process and provide critical analysis on the Shell Trading & Supply customers.
• The ability to communicate complicated ideas in a clear and uncomplicated fashion.
• Remain open to different perspectives (i.e. from other businesses & locations) and be able to switch priorities at short notice.
• The ability to work under pressure, working to tight deadlines and juggling a number of different items.
• Demonstrate ability to coach junior team members and take ownership and deliver on specific projects.
• Experience in working in a global organisation and in a virtual working environment"