Waste to Py-oil Lead
What’s the role?
Shell Chemicals’ Circular Ambition is that we become a leader in the Plastics Circular Economy (PCE) and have publicly shared our ambition to use feedstock from 1 MTons of Plastics waste by 2025 and internally have an ambition to further grow this to 3M T by 2030.
Using Pyrolysis oil derived from plastic waste is our most advanced circular solution realisation of this opportunity requires the following building blocks:
- Accelerated market entry for customer offerings based upon circular molecules to create and deliver customer premia beyond standard noncircular offerings.
- Upgrading technology to enable aggregation of pyrolysis feed and scale of cracking at Shell crackers to lock competitive advantaged production
- Access to the best pyrolysis oil technology/feedstock, i.e., pyrolysis oil at advantaged price. This will be critical when the market matures to be a more advantaged feedstock play.
To meet our ambitions, Shell has a strategy for acquiring both 3rd party Pyrolysis Oil as well as building our own equity supply chain for supplying our network of Steam Crackers across the Globe. For this strategy to be a success we will need to gain competitive and sustainable access to waste to feed our own equity value chain as well as securing competitive access to 3rd party Py-Oil.
Working with the overall Global PCE programme lead and the regional sustainability commercial managers, The Waste to Pyoil global lead will have the responsibility to
- Develop strategies which will enable competitive and resilient access to plastic waste, which is suitable for the Blue Alp pyrolysis units, which are:
- Cognisant of the different legislations in the country of operation
- Responsive to the strategic control points that we Shell needs for a long-term profitable position
- Understand the exposure from a cost, HSSE and reputational perspective
- Reflective of the synergies and conflicts with mechanical recycling
- Develop commercial strategies that will gain long term cost competitive access to 3rd party Pyrolysis Oil which takes into account:
- Shell Global solution technical evaluation of the 3rd party technologies.
- Potential commercial constructs which enable a cost competitive access to suitable waste, which could either be a simple SPA, Pre-Payment/loan, JV or buyout of the company.
- The overall exposure that Shell wishes to have across the whole value chain.
- Work with legal, finance and Shell Ventures to develop guidance and give support to the regional teams to enable them to get access to best practices and to deliver an efficient way of executing multiple “complex” commercial deals
- In all the geographies that we wish to operate; have a good understanding of the waste market and the current and future legislation / practices which will shape Shell’s strategy on how we wish to participate in the value chain
- Work closely with the technical lead for BlueAlp to understand the waste sorting and Py-Oil quality trade-offs to help to shape future waste contracts and technological development of BlueAlp
- Input to policy and advocacy the key aspects of legislation we need to have in place to meet our aspirations of deployment of chemical recycling across the globe.
- Understand and identify the synergies with mechanical recycling and determine what commercial constructs, including equity positions, Shell should adopt to gain access to strategic control points
- Support the circularity teams on waste understanding through adhoc questions, learning sessions, mentoring etc.
- Advise on the strategic direction of Shell for Chemical and mechanical recycling.
What we need from you?
- Extensive experience in the commercial aspects of waste collection, management and sorting
- Demonstrated understanding of mechanical recycling processes and value drivers
- Demonstrated understanding of at least one regional market/legislation – current and future together with the influence of EPR schemes
- Strong relationship management skills, external and internal
- Proven ability to operate in multi-disciplinary environment – including finance, operations, projects, commercial, BD and strategy
- Understanding of potential commercial models for Waste and Py-Oil feedstock, that would support the deployment of the program within Shell
- Exceptional influencing, interpersonal communication, collaboration, and negotiation skills, and high emotional intelligence. Comfortable driving a change agenda with complex stakeholder management structures/senior stakeholders
- Strong commercial acumen and experience
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Where do you fit?
- Billing Process Analyst Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Network Planner CRT Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Category Manager - Confectionary Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Airport Optimisation DACH Hamburg, Germany, Rotterdam, Netherlands, London, United Kingdom
- CRM Acceleration Lead Rotterdam, Netherlands