Senior Market Risk Operations Analyst
What’s the role?
This role will work closely with the other Risk Management teams across the Trading and Supply businesses including a significant Business Operations component, regular discussions with Market Risk, Valuation, Front Office, Finance and Back Office, and be a focal point for forward curve and pricing related queries from across the Shell group.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities of the role are:
- Ensure Market Risk processes and controls are run accurately, reliably, and right first time
- Maintain observable valuation inputs e.g., exchange prices, broker quotes, derivable volatilities, and correlations to risk calculations
- Understand physical spot price assessments and the construction of forward curves
- Work with Market Risk analysts and traders to come up with the best forward curves possible, and to implement them in the trading systems alongside the Business Operations team
- Understand risk at all parts during the life of a deal interacting with the functional experts to help identify and suggest remediation to those risks
- Implement Shell best practices in commodity trading risk management
- Ensure that Market Risk fulfils its role as an independent “check and balance” function and is viewed as such by other parts of the organization
- Review assumptions and estimates in our valuation curves to ensure that they are suitable and up to date
- Manage user testing of systems functionality and enhancements while providing feedback to key stakeholders
- Guarantee the knowledge around market risk reference data & forward curve construction is well documented for the benefit of the wider Market Risk team
- Ensure process excellence, identifying bottlenecks in Risk processes. Implementing error-checking as a natural part of all processes so output is ‘Right First Time’
- Support digitalization and automation to smooth the flow of information across the business and to remove manual tasks
- Map and document processes, clarify accountabilities, and simplify interfaces to allow the smooth running of the Risk organization
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement by having the courage to challenge established processes. This includes identifying inefficiencies in local and global operations and opportunities to streamline and automate shared processes and interfaces
- Work closely with risk analysts in all parts of the risk management department including a significant Business Operations component
- Certify that the business they cover is widely understood and that any changes to it or the supporting risk management framework are communicated properly to all stakeholders
Skills & Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Candidate must have minimum of seven (7) years working experience within a trading, financial or risk management organization
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Science, Engineering or IT, or workplace experience in the energy trading industry
- Candidate must have knowledge of financial, commodity and energy markets, derivative instruments, and hedging which could have been gained in a Market Risk, Product Control or Trade Control role
- Has Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills, such as pivot tables, lookups, VBA macros. SQL and Python an advantage, other coding languages can also be useful
- Experience with Endur, DEX or comparable energy trading risk management system
- This is a role for a person who brings diversity of thought, who is not afraid to speak up and who is comfortable challenging senior stakeholders
- The candidate must have the ability to articulate and communicate complex scenarios and ideas in a clear and concise manner while understanding the perspective and experience of others. Ability to challenge sensitive issues constructively while maintaining working relationships.
- Team player, good interpersonal skills. Flexible to work with colleagues across numerous time zones with both Market Risk at the Trading Hubs in the Americas, Europe, and Asia, but equally the Business Operations center’s in Chennai, Manilla, and Bangalore
- Excellent communication skills - this role will require writing reports and policies and presenting analysis and insights to senior stakeholders. Due to the global nature of the business the role requires communicating using different methods, in a variety of formats, to people in many countries
- Reliable, dependable, and disciplined. Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized. A trusted partner of the business
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet key deadlines
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues
- Continuous improvement mindset: utilizing tools to streamline and automate work to boost efficiency
- Scientific mindset: identify, investigate, analyze, research, discuss, record, and resolve issues
- Learner mindset; innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities
The base salary range for this position is $113,000.00 - $169,000.00 per year. Individual pay will be based on various factors, such as relevant work experience, education, certifications, skill level, seniority, and internal equity.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.