Sr. Development Manager, Energy Storage
Where you fit in
Do you enjoy working with a highly motivated and talented team to deliver critical clean energy projects? Shell Renewables and Energy Solutions is growing and we as the Onshore Power Infrastructure team play a key role by developing utility-scale battery storage, solar and wind for a wide variety of customers.
What’s the role?
As the Sr. Development Manager, Energy Storage, you will help build our team’s strategy for energy storage development in the US – a leading market for storage at Shell. You will develop utility-scale battery energy storage system (BESS) projects from greenfield, as well as work with 3rd party developers to acquire projects in early/mid stage development. You will be a key member of the development team for each of Shell’s co-located storage assets, e.g. solar plus storage (PVS). Under your leadership Shell will progress GWs of BESS and PVS projects to the construction phase, where you will hand off primary responsibility for the projects to our delivery team.
- Lead greenfield development of BESS projects and PVS projects
- Participate as key subject matter expert, stakeholder and author in annual storage strategy update
- Find, establish, and maintain partnerships with storage developers and customers (utility scale)
- Oversee development of project analytics by storage optimizer (analyze value/feasibility of deploying energy storage)
- Lead development, own the preparation and delivery of competitive proposals for project offtake agreements
- Structure and execute front of the meter energy storage contracts
- Originate project acquisition deal flow via developer partners and drive through Shell’s approval process
- Build relationships with strategic counterparties: help lead team to manage investment/acquisition of flexible capacity development capabilities in U.S.
- Understand US policies for energy storage and actively participate in ESA in coordination with other Shell policy organizations
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, in combination with MBA is a preferred
- 7+ years of energy sector experience required; at least two years in the energy storage space
- Fluency in modeling storage use cases & value drivers, especially those geared toward FTM storage deals (flexible capacity)
- Deep understanding of bulk energy storage competitive landscape
- Strong understanding of technical and commercial aspects of energy storage deals
- Demonstrated initiative, ownership and focus regarding all tasks and deliverables related to deal closing
- Experience originating, negotiating, closing and developing energy storage deals a plus
- Experience in sourcing, building, and managing strong industry and customer relationships
- Assertive, able to cope with dynamic surroundings, a team player
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.