This role is for a senior Deal Structurer within Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products (SE-EE).
Shell Energy Europe and Environmental Products (SE-EE) is part of Shell Trading and trades in natural gas and power in Europe and environmental products with a global scope.
Deal Structuring within SE-EE is a commercial team accountable for the valuation and risk assessment of new complex contracts that takes ownership of the valuation and deal management methodology. The team (currently 15 Deal Structurers and growing) operates from the Shell trading hub in London where most of the team members are based with some individual ones located in Hague and Singapore. The main commercial stakeholders for the Deal Structuring team are the Power and Gas Businesses in Europe and the Environmental Product Trading Business (EPTB) that operates globally with desks in London, Singapore, San Diego and Shanghai and a presence in Australia.
The main activity of the Deal Structuring team is close collaboration with Originators and Trading desks to develop deal opportunities that add value and to support growth of the portfolio within the Energy product space in Power & Gas in Europe and for environmental products across the globe.
To support the growing activities of EPTB in Asia and Oceania, specifically to give local support to the EPTB desks in Singapore and Shanghai as well as the Australian branch, the Deal Structuring team needs to extend its presence in the Shell trading hub in Singapore.
What is the role
We are looking for a mid-level to senior individual who combines the quantitative and analytical skill set of a Deal Structurer with a commercial mindset and the ability to manage a complex stakeholder environment across multiple locations. While the role reports into the team lead in London, working on a different time zone, the candidate is expected to show a high degree of independence to manage the requirements for the EPTB desks in Singapore and Shanghai together with the local colleague and balance it with full integration into the Deal Structuring team in London.
The role needs the necessary experience and self-dependence to quickly build a strong relationship with the EPTB business in the area and increase the local Deal Structuring activity. EPTB works in fast changing, highly regulated and illiquid markets and continuously needs to adapt. The role therefore requires an agile, creative mind and strong work ethic to keep pace with the market developments.
We expect the candidate to travel to Shanghai and Australia and on occasion to accompany the EPTB originators for external meetings with customers in the area. It will also be required to travel to London regularly to keep in touch with the colleagues in the team.
The main responsibility of the role is to collaborate with the EPTB desks and support the growth of the portfolio and work alongside the originators from deal idea creation until closure of the contract, while being accountable for the methodology of the valuation and risk assessment of complex transactions.
The role needs to:
- Represent the Deal Structuring team and build strong relationships with the business stakeholders and internal functional departments (Risk, Finance, Credit, Legal)
- Collaborate with originators and traders to create innovative structured products in response to demand and changing market conditions
- Keep close connection with the Deal Structuring team in London and ensure a common aligned approach
- Provide an independent view on structured transactions, with constructive challenge of the deal owner as required and suggest alternative solutions or improvements
- Develop and own valuation methods and models for pricing and risk assessment of complex structured contracts.
- Identify value drivers and risks inherent in the transactions
- (e.g. market risk, project risk, credit risk, regulatory risk, financing risk)
- As part of the deal team proactively engage with commercial project leaders to (re-)structure non-standard transactions during negotiation phase, be creative to suggest alternative solutions and adaption of contract structures
- Work closely with all relevant internal stakeholders during the approval process
- Collaborate with deal owners to manage and extract value from acquired structured positions
- Maintain close, collaborative relationships with the wider origination team and other internal partners in the value chain such as Shell Renewables and Energy Solutions (RES)
- Maintain an outward mindset and ongoing commitment of Deal Structuring to the One-team approach
This role is a challenging position with excellent development opportunities across T&S and the wider Shell group. We require a creative individual with excellent analytical/numerical and interpersonal skills. Working under tight deadlines and conflicting pressures, the candidate will prove able to continue delivering to an excellent standard, with clear focus on the bottom line and priorities in hand. The successful candidate will show the will and the ability to contribute to this objective and to constantly improve personal and team performance.
We are interested in attracting people to our business who share our core working values of honesty, integrity and respect for others. We also want those who can build on our business vision, are prepared to accept accountability and can achieve great results through teamwork and generating creative solutions to problems.
What we need from you
The role requires:
- Postgraduate or professional qualification in numerical subject (MSc, CFA, ACA or similar)
- Excellent analytical / financial skills, business acumen, and demonstrated achievement
- Experience in financial modelling or risk management in a trading environment
- Experience with financial terms and metrics (e.g. collateral and accounting treatment)
- Good interpersonal skills, both with team colleagues and stakeholders, with a proven track record as a senior team member
- Proven ability to work within a complex team, experience in working across multiple locations highly desirable
- Excellent communication, relationship building and presentation skills.
- Fluency in the English language
Beneficial skills / knowledge
- Previous exposure to Energy Markets (e.g. gas, power or environmental product markets)
- Exposure to reviewing and wording contractual agreements from a commercial viewpoint
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.