Senior Advisor Trade Compliance
Where you fit in?
Movements of various goods and services, intellectual property and money across international borders can be restricted by various national and international trade control laws and is subject to customs procedures and requirements that also have a financial impact for Shell.
Violations of relevant trade control laws (sanction or export controls) or customs regulations can also lead to loss of export and import privileges and significant fines for Shell and individual staff as well as imprisonment for individuals. In line with the Shell General Business Principles (SGBP), compliance with trade control legislation is therefore imperative for Shell as a company heavily involved in international trading activities.
Reporting to the International Trade Manager within Trading & Supply (T&S) Regulation compliance team, the Senior Advisor Trade Controls is the lead Trade Control focal point supporting Trade Controls compliance for the Asia Pacific, for the different Trading & Supply business activities and lines of business (Crude Trading, Products Trading, Gas & Energy Marketing & Trading, Shipping & Supply Operations) as required. The role holder will work together closely with the Trade Control Manager (TCM) , Finance, Operations and Commercial staff in Trading & Supply and key stakeholders outside of T&S.
The Senior Advisor Trade Compliance has global responsibility to:
- Manage and develop the expertise of the team of Trade Compliance experts within T&S for Asia Pacific
- Provide operational Trade Compliance advice and instructions (sanctions, export controls and/or customs) with the support and guidance of International Trade Manager
- Provide first line support for Trading and Supply queries and operational support
- Provide second line support and advice and guidance for standard Trade Compliance issues with support from the TCM T&S
- Liaise closely with Trade Compliance Manager and his team to resolve and avoid Trade Compliance issues (e.g., application of sanctions, imports, exports)
- Assist the TCM in assessing T&S’s risk exposure based on sufficient knowledge of applicable Trade Compliance regulations and Shell procedures
- Address escalations to the TCM of counterparty screening matches
- Support training for the T&S business and the Compliance Advisory team to manage basic Trade Compliance queries; Acquire, possess, and maintain adequate levels of Trade Compliance knowledge, experience, and expertise
- Acquire, possess, and maintain a robust working knowledge of the T&S business to support the TCM and enable integration of mandatory Trade Compliance procedures into business processes to manage and mitigate identified Trade Compliance risks
- Keep apprised of changes in regulatory requirements
- Promote awareness of Trade Compliance risks and required processes throughout the organization
- Maintain close collaboration with all relevant functions and compliance staff (e.g., Corporate Relations, Shell Ethics & Compliance, Ethics & Compliance Manager) via the Trade Control Manager in the respective organization.
More about the role:
- Problem Solving: Navigates through complex regulatory problems by understanding the regulation, listening to different views, identifying the critical issues and articulates the way forward.
- Stakeholder Relationships: Builds relationships with stakeholders at different levels in the organisation whilst maintaining independence and tenacity of approach.
- Communications: Communicates complex subject matter clearly and simply and identifies the key messages for stakeholders. Adapts communication style depending on the stakeholder audience and comfortable in having difficult conversations.
- Issue Management: Identifies, tracks, and manages issues and works with stakeholders to resolve problems and continuously improve processes and controls.
What we need from you?
The ideal candidate will have at least seven (7) years’ operational experience in trade controls (e.g. in a sanctions compliance, customs or procurement role), experience of liaising with government agencies and/or a law degree with experience in trade law would be an advantage.
Besides that, we would also like to see the following:
- Previous experience in design or rollout of a (compliance) management control system (not IT system) - not necessarily trade controls/customs, but e.g. Health, Safety, Security & Environment (HSSE), Quality, or Finance.
- The successful candidate must have initiative and the discipline to prioritise projects and conflicting demands, be able to respect confidentiality requirements, possess the skills to communicate with tact and diplomacy and be able to maintain effective relationships both internally and externally to Shell.
Compliance is a foundation of the way in which T&S does business and therefore integrity is one of the fundamental values that we are seeking as part of the Compliance team. We believe integrity is the hallmark of a person who demonstrates sound moral and ethical principles during their work. Integrity is the foundation on which co-workers build relationships, trust, and effective interpersonal relationships. It is essential that the successful candidate will be able to give clear examples of integrity as one of their core values.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
More About Shell in Singapore
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential…
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.