Supply Chain Commercial Specialist
What’s the role?
The Supply Chain Commercial Specialist is viewed as a key commercial position for SJI and is accountable for ensuring that site is optimizing 3rd party spend. The selected candidate will develop sourcing strategies and tactics based on a deep understanding of the current situation of the business, the business strategy and drivers, the local supplier market, and global strategies. The candidate enables stakeholders in the Supply Chain to understand the intent of contracts, optimize the use of contracts, manage Contract(or)s for performance and remove waste.
This role provides the candidate opportunity to manage and lead the execution of the complete Category Management & Contracting Process (CMCP) including Contract Strategy, Tactics and Contract Management activities in the area of key services contracts in engineering, maintenances and services (EMS), Turn Arounds (TA), and Projects within Shell Jurong Island.
- In conjunction with the Supply Chain Manager (SCM) of the region and key business stakeholders at site determine the optimum portfolio of categories that should be managed across the three sites in the East.
- Ensure commercials models in place for categories are robust and test all 40:40:20 levers.
- Replicate best practice from other businesses within Shell & Externally within the region.
- Act as the key commercial interface for the categories within the portfolio on a day-to-day basis with regional business stakeholders and ensure local business needs are met.
- Drive good commercial outcomes by working effectively with the supply chain commercial specialists, contract holder, owner communities of these contracts (including contract management and driving high performance) for local and multi-site contracts including regional contracts and Enterprise Framework Agreement (EFAs).
- Translate category scope to Chemicals and Products for alignment, implementation plans, and value delivery.
- Model excellence in commercial contract management and coach sites contract management teams to drive safe operational and commercial outcomes.
- Coach other junior Supply Chain Commercial Specialists on category skills, project management, and stakeholder engagement.
- Develop and own end-to-end contracting process, which includes negotiating contracts and managing the contracts post-award.
- Develop implementation plans for new contracts, including Enterprise Framework Agreements (EFAs).
- Deliver cost improvement by developing and implementing regional CP strategies and implementing the regional component of global strategies.
- Support Global Category Manager in implementing the Global Category strategy within the region and maintaining business stakeholder support.
- Act as a focal point for Global Transformation Teams and provide period updates and reports.
- Work with the Supply Chain Manager and business stakeholders to develop ultimate potential capability for the region.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the market for the category in various key markets.
- Conduct bids, on-line bids, negotiations and manage subsequent supplier performance.
- Manage supplier relationship including the resolution of operational and supplier performance issues relating to the contracts.
- Ensure contracts can be operationalized effectively within the context of the standardize Requisition to Pay (RtP) and Category Management & Contracting Process (CMCP) process.
- Lead the change management effort to implement new strategies and tools implemented in the region by engaging with maintenance, projects, and T/A leaders at the sites in the regions.
- Improve both contract and supplier management to help Shell close its gap to ultimate potential and to reach desired quartile in Non-Energy Cash Costs.
- Drive a continuous improvement mindset within the broader team and with the stakeholder community.
What we need from you
Key Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience gained in an operating plant environment or having supported customers in a plant environment where most contracts are of high HSSE risk category.
- Brings a strong understanding of local market dynamics specially in the maintenance, projects and turnaround categories of spend.
- Experience having developed and executed category strategies that led to significant cost reductions.
- Brings a track record of having executed commercial, innovative deals that position Shell competitively.
- Experience with consolidating demand across sites and developing category strategies for regional deals aligned with site business plans.
- Experienced in driving continuous improvements that led to elimination of waste in the business.
- Possesses a deep understanding of site commercial priorities within the region and shapes work plans accordingly.
- Experience leading project teams in a matrixed organization with no line management accountabilities.
- Experience have led change managed effort that created significant impact within their business area or broadly within Shell.
- Experience is building and sustaining healthy commercial relationships with our key suppliers and value chain partners.
Skills and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain or other relevant fields.
- Experience in Supply Chain, gained through operations or excellence roles in Contracting and Procurement or other commercial or deal making roles
- Ability to leads implementation of Global Enterprise Framework Agreement (EFA’s) and validates the value proposition of the deal for each site.
- Strong End-to-End process management thinking and continuous improvement mindset.
- Demonstrate ability to apply Enterprise First thinking balancing needs of the overall organization and the needs of single businesses.
- Be an effective and clear communicator able to manage conflicts in a sensible, fair and efficient manner.
- Able to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders across the business and influence without authority.
- Demonstrate ability to analyse, monitor, influence and manage progress and follow up as required.
- Be a creative thinker, demonstrating intellectual curiosity and challenging the status quo
- Viewed as a leader in developing effective commercial contracts which incentivize suppliers to achieve desired outcomes.
- Delivers as an integrated member of the site team rather than as an advisor giving work directions to others.
- Understand and apply use of analytics and process indicators to drive continuous improvement.
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.