Technical Services Engineer
Where you fit in
Shell Catalyst and Technologies (SC&T) is a customer facing organization that brings high value, differentiated technologies to the market. These technologies include a portfolio of hydroprocessing catalysts from its refining catalyst line. SC&T supports these catalysts through their entire lifecycle by providing best-in-class technical service. It is the role of the TSE to support the sales of these catalyst products as well as the customers who use them. The role is highly customer focused, requiring commercial skills in addition to technical capabilities. Our culture in SC&T is one of Humility, Curiosity, Commercial Excellence, Determination, but above all putting the customer first.
What’s the role?
The Technical Services Engineer will be accountable for providing customer and sales support associated with refinery hydro-processing catalyst customers. This role will be a member of a larger technical support team and will work closely with the sales team on specific customer accounts.
Specific role functions include:
- Preparing catalyst performance estimates and complex technical proposals in response to customer request
- Supporting customers through the catalyst loading, activation, and start-up process
- Supporting customer’s hydroprocessing unit operation through analysis of data and assistance in troubleshooting efforts
- Using and improving catalyst performance models as a tool to support the catalyst business
- Documenting successes that customers achieve with SC&T catalysts and technical support and sharing knowledge gained from these successes within the organization, helping to further strengthen SC&T’s technical and commercial positions
- Preparing complex technical proposals in response to refinery customer requests as well as engineering design firms and/or internal hydro-processing process licensing teams
- Building of positive working relationships with customer’s technical staff, achieving a position of trusted advisor with the customer
- Supporting the sales staff by providing insights on customer needs and drivers
What we need from you
Key Skills and Requirements
- BS Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or any related fields
- At least 8 years’ experience in technical support of refinery operation, refinery planning, hydro processing process design, and/or refining catalysts support
- Experience in hydrocracking preferred but general background in hydro processing and other catalytic processes will also be considered
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills with the ability to diagnose unique and challenging operational issues
- Strong writing, presentation, and communication skills
- Strong commercial skills in 4D (discover, diagnose, develop, deliver)
- Ability to travel 30% of the time – APAC
- Organizational skills to multi-task and manage several projects and customers at the same time
- High degree of confidence with the ability to earn the status of trusted advisor with a customer base of experienced and knowledgeable refining personnel
- Strong stakeholder management skills and team player
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.