Employment Tax Adviser
Join the Shell Tax team and support Shell in delivering on its strategic ambitions!
We are looking for an Employment Tax Adviser dedicated to managing the employment tax affairs of Shell’s business operations in The Netherlands. The person joins a strong team, works in a global setting, and is not afraid of exploring the corporate jungle.
If you take pride in contributing to Shell’s energy ambitions, have a Dutch tax education, and are able to apply tax technical challenges to everyday matters, then do consider this exciting job.
Where you fit in
Shell has been present in the Netherlands for over 130 years. Our activities include retail sites, fast-charging sites for electric vehicles, a chemical complex, a technology centre and a refinery. Shell is also involved in the development of solar parks, wind farms and geothermal heat. Shell has a 50% interest in Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij B.V. (NAM), which produces oil and gas.
Shell’s global Integrated Gas and Renewables and Energy Solutions, Upstream, and Projects & Technology businesses are all based in the Netherlands. Many support services are also performed at Shell’s offices in The Hague, including Finance and Human Resource activities.
What’s the role?
The Global Employment Tax Team is responsible for managing the employment tax matters for Shell. Together with colleagues in different teams, you support the business in delivering on its ambitions, by pursuing tax opportunities, and mitigating risks.
You will be part of a global team and will work closely with colleagues in HR, including those based in Krakow (Poland). While your primary focus is on providing expert Employment Tax advice for Shell in the Netherlands, you will also provide Employment Tax support for country tax teams in other European countries (excluding the UK).
As you will be part of a Global Organisation, you will also be exposed to other topics and may take part in special tax projects where required.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Provide first class comprehensive employment tax advice.
- Represent Shell externally, to fiscal authorities and employment tax committees.
- Drive effective risk management and decide on the best solutions that will achieve business objectives and add value.
- Provide support to Country Tax Leads in the region in exercising accountability for employment taxes.
- Maintain and continuously improve Shell NL’s employment tax control framework.
- Support NL payroll on tax filing positions to be taken.
- Deal with complex (international) taxation issues and be the first point of contact for Shell’s external tax return provider & HR Operations colleagues on these issues for NL.
- Handle NL tax processes such as the work-related costs scheme and corresponding approval for foreign pensions.
- Raise awareness and share knowledge on NL Employment tax developments to HR and business stakeholders.
- Keep on top of important NL or relevant international tax regulations and changes and understand / manage the impact on existing operations.
At the offices in The Hague, the position of Employment Tax Adviser reports to the Head of Employment Tax and works closely with the Employment Tax Lead NL & Europe. You are part of a team of 12 Employment Tax advisers globally and of course the larger Shell Tax group.
What we need from you?
As an Employment Tax Adviser:
- You have recognized professional Dutch tax qualifications.
- You have strong NL employment tax skills.
- You have a proven record of employment tax experience, preferably at “manager” level in a tax firm, law firm, multinational company, or in the public domain .
- You effectively communicate in English and Dutch with diverse stakeholders both internally and externally.
- You are a hands-on self-starter, with the ability to prioritize efficiently, and work collaboratively across borders and businesses.
- You can proactively engage and maintain strong stakeholder and business connectivity, in large and complex organizations.
- You are comfortable working in ambiguous and sometimes pressured situations.
- You have affinity with (tax) digitalization and how digital technologies can play a role in optimizing processes.
- You have a mindset to adhere to sound HSSE (Health Safety Security Environment) practices in day-to-day work and life.
- You value diversity and inclusiveness and are curious to learn from other cultures.
If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown that not everyone often applies when they do not feel 100% qualified. We are committed to creating a more equitable, inclusive, and diverse company and we strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientation, and life experiences to apply. We look forward to receiving your application.
We are keen to support flexible working arrangements, subject to local regulations and legislative frameworks. If this is of interest to you, please describe in your application the type of flexible working arrangements for which you would like to be considered (e.g., part-time, job share).
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.