Senior Big Data Engineer
Where you fit in:
At Shell, we work at fast pace. So when things get in the way of progress, the "New Technology Development team" steps in to remove those roadblocks.
We are looking for “Senior Big Data Engineer” to accelerate the adoption of data across our organization by improving the data pipelines that power our business.
What is the Role:
Senior Big Data Engineer will work in a team of data & analytics professionals who are mainly tasked with building data solutions. They do this by developing, maintaining, and testing infrastructures for data generation working closely with business and other parts of IT engineering like PMs, BAs etc. This role will report to "New Technology Dev Leader”, under Platforms & Technology driving Market research, product evaluation and fitment to Shell. This includes partnering with shell architecture team on architectural roadmap, with external vendors on what's new in market and how does it fit in shell’s technology vision and work with engineering team to drive evaluation PoCs. The individual needs to be upto date with latest technology innovations and envisage how that can add value to Shell’s technical stack.
The key focus areas of the role are:
- Market research & product evaluation
- Architectural guidance
- Enterprise compliance
- Value generation and prioritization
- Relationship management
- Business intelligence
- Innovation Responsibilities:
- Have robust Software engineering background, design and build complex data pipelines, work closely with data scientist to put code into production, familiar with many Big dataset and are expert coders using Python Or Java, and/Or Scala. Experience in Hadoop ecosystem, Spark, AWS Or Azure.
- Will help accelerate the adoption of data across our organization by improving the data pipelines that power our business.
- Develop ETLs/processes by ensuring data integrity, availability, freshness and richness of data, which is incredibly important to the success of the company.
- Driving improvements in our data infrastructure which leads to better decision making across the organization.
- Guides stakeholders in understanding analyses / outcomes and using them. Helps the business to find the right answer to solve their business problems, to determine feasible solutions contributing to develop new business models.
- Write background jobs, perform code review and write documentation. Influential at team level through oral presentations, business cases and investment proposals.
- Supports stakeholders by gathering, analyzing and modelling data and key performance indicators of moderate to high complexity. Working as a key member of a Team to develop and deploy innovative big data platforms for advanced analytics and data processing.
- Works under broad guidance and supervision by Manager / Team Lead for complex activities.
What we need from you:
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and requirements:
- Innate curiosity about new technologies(in data & analytics space) and best practices and ways of adopting them for commercial reward through technological innovation.
- Balanced commercial, business, and technical skill.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and gravitas to lead diverse teams of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong empathetic characteristics, a collaborative style, and ability to build strong and trusted relationships and networks.
- Ability to inspire others to action and drive quality and pace in equal measure to enable successful outcomes.
- Confident with data, tools & technologies and use technical capabilities to drive technical vision and roadmap.
- A strong understanding of Data & analytics landscape, tools & technologies”
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.